Student lost - Seattle, Washington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prayers for her and her family , :(

6 other light beams is harder to account for than 3 or 4. Each instructor should have taken their own group of students. I'd never take 4 students myself in the Puget Sound. Max 3 for teaching team based diving.

I was more commenting that this student instructor ratio was not inherently nuts for this site and conditions. Splitting into 4:1 and 3:1 or having 2x 2:1 and 1x 3:1 groups probably would have been better in hindsight. But not knowing how the dive was actually planned limits my armchair quarterbacking here. And even with additional staff or limited students she still could have died of IPE or another cause.

It has beem 5 years but I remember it distinctly as it happened at Cove 1. I was diving at Cove 3 but had left. A friemd of mine taught a class at Cove 1 next to the OW class that lost the 23 year old woman. He could have responded immediately with a fresh set of tanks but instead packed up his gear. Those were critical minutes. By the time he learned of the missing diver where the other shop were going back in, he had just finished packing up. I won't say that he would have saved her life but he might have.[/QUOTE
I was more commenting that this student instructor ratio was not inherently nuts for this site and conditions. Splitting into 4:1 and 3:1 or having 2x 2:1 and 1x 3:1 groups probably would have been better in hindsight. But not knowing how the dive was actually planned limits my armchair quarterbacking here. And even with additional staff or limited students she still could have died of IPE or another cause.
I thought there were a total of 6 students and 2 instructors, so 1:3 instructor to student ratio, which I also stated earlier that I thought it was reasonable.

I thought there were a total of 6 students and 2 instructors, so 1:3 instructor to student ratio, which I also stated earlier that I thought it was reasonable.
I read the article as 2 instructors, 6 students plus the deceased. so 7:2. But perhaps it was 6:2

Not sure its a critical distinction, it is both reasonable and within standards. Bad things can happen at even lower student instructor ratios, its not the only barometer

I And even with additional staff or limited students she still could have died of IPE or another cause.
Sure but they may have been able to do their own recovery right then and there. If there is a fatal medical issue, then the end result is the same. The difference is who retrieves the body.

Two instructors keeping track of 7 lights? That's reasonable to you? Not to me considering how poorly trained many divers are. No problem if GUE rec 1 divers. But WRSTC agency divers? Seen too many bad things.

Sure but they may have been able to do their own recovery right then and there. If there is a fatal medical issue, then the end result is the same. The difference is who retrieves the body.
Exactly. They ended the dive and she was not there with them. Whether she was suffering a medical issue or some other type of incident, they lost her and surfaced without her.

Two instructors keeping track of 7 lights? That's reasonable to you? Not to me considering how poorly trained many divers are. No problem if GUE rec 1 divers. But WRSTC agency divers? Seen too many bad things.
If only you were there this wouldn’t have happened!

Back
Top Bottom