Student aquarium diver bitten by shark - China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The story calls it a Tiger shark, then later a Sand tiger...

Woman bitten by shark during dive lesson in aquarium left needing 70 stitches
A woman in China underwent a four-hour operation where she needed over 70 stitches after a diving lesson with sharks went horribly awry.

The novice diver was swimming in a tank containing tiger sharks when she was attacked. Reports state that she was bitten on the head once before the shark let her go.

The incident reportedly occurred at the Dalian Laohutan Ocean Park in Liaoning, Northeast China, where the woman paid over 3,600 yuan (S$725) for the level 1 diving lesson.

Only referred to in the media as Nana, graphic images of the aftermath showed deep lacerations all over her scalp, forehead and jaw.

The manager of the club, who has not been named, sent a text saying he would cover all of Nana's medical expenses and any other necessary cosmetic operations in future, British newspaper The Mirror reported.

In addition, he promised to give her a professional diving theory lesson when she is fully recovered.

Nana is still negotiating compensation with the club and remains under observation in hospital.

Social media reactions on microblog Weibo largely expressed shock over Nana's predicament, with some commenters sympathising with her pain.

Others commenters who claimed to be at the scene said that Nana had provoked the tiger shark into attacking her.

"All who participated in the diving in Dalian were unharmed. The risks of extreme sports (like diving with sharks) should be borne by oneself and everyone signs a waiver form beforehand.

"I was there that day and the shark did not attack her unprovoked. She floated to the top and knocked into the shark's tooth which gave it a fright."

Another commenter wrote: "Before the dive, the staff warned divers not the touch the marine animals. She (Nana) went to chase after the sharks and touch it... There were many other participants. Why was she the only one attacked? The shark had no interest in her, it only attacked because she bothered it."

According to National Geographic, sand tiger sharks are described as having a "deceivingly ferocious look". They are a docile, non-aggressive species known to attack humans only when bothered first.

They live for 15 or more years in the wild, weighing up to 160 kilograms and growing up to 3.2 metres in length.

My first thought was that the diver must have been the initial aggressor but "knocked into the shark's tooth" is a confusing statement.

My first thought was that the diver must have been the initial aggressor but "knocked into the shark's tooth" is a confusing statement.
Not for sand tigers, google an image. I could see someone being too close and bumping a snaggletooth. I could also see the true meaning of that statement being lost in translation

Not for sand tigers, google an image. I could see someone being too close and bumping a snaggletooth. I could also see the true meaning of that statement being lost in translation

I know what sand tigers look like. Regardless their snaggle tooth, consider how close one must come to bump into a tooth/teeth . . .closer than to a fin

It seems she was close enough to find herself partially inside the sharks mouth at minimum, her head inside the sharks mouth if the anonymous eye witness accounts are to be believed.

Seems an awfully hard way to learn to respect your surroundings and the wildlife we encounter.

Agreed but according to the reports, she'd been warned in advance.

That said, I'll give some benefit of the doubt to a complete buoyancy control failure instead of deliberate harassment.

Agreed but according to the reports, she'd been warned in advance.

That said, I'll give some benefit of the doubt to a complete buoyancy control failure instead of deliberate harassment.

Sorry but incompetence is no better of an excuse to me. If you cant manage boyouncy then maybe square that away before you go shark diving?

I've only been commenting based on these quotes from the article:

"I was there that day and the shark did not attack her unprovoked. She floated to the top and knocked into the shark's tooth which gave it a fright."

Another commenter wrote: "Before the dive, the staff warned divers not the touch the marine animals. She (Nana) went to chase after the sharks and touch it... There were many other participants. Why was she the only one attacked? The shark had no interest in her, it only attacked because she bothered it."

Sorry but incompetence is no better of an excuse to me. If you cant manage boyouncy then maybe square that away before you go shark diving?
I read the report to imply this was a first dive for the group. Maybe DSD? Regardless, I gathered she was a novice diver. In that case an instructor seems partially to blame.

A woman in China underwent a four-hour operation where she needed over 70 stitches after a diving lesson with sharks went horribly awry.
... and then she ran into my tooth. She ran into my tooth ten times!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom