Bull shark kills Pennsylvania woman -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who knew? Add them to Great Whites as another shark I've not yet seen in SE FL. I need to catch a Whale Shark too,
May as well look for a Mola Mola too while you’re down there…

Some time back, when the US tobacco industry still owned the politicians, some regulators wanted to skip past putting pointless warning boxes on cigarettes, and put pictures on them. Of ruined lungs, cancer, etc. Scary pictures that couldn't be overlooked. Big tobacco had a conniption fit, and it didn't happen.

Perhaps something like that should be done, though, on dive waivers (and snorkeling waivers). Instead of just listing awful things, include some pictures of them, and a little checkbox by each one saying "I know there's a fair chance that this can happen to me, and I won't get mad at anyone if it does." I'm sure the industry would be happier if they could avoid "failure to warn" claims. :wink:

Some time back, when the US tobacco industry still owned the politicians, some regulators wanted to skip past putting pointless warning boxes on cigarettes, and put pictures on them. Of ruined lungs, cancer, etc. Scary pictures that couldn't be overlooked. Big tobacco had a conniption fit, and it didn't happen.

Perhaps something like that should be done, though, on dive waivers (and snorkeling waivers). Instead of just listing awful things, include some pictures of them, and a little checkbox by each one saying "I know there's a fair chance that this can happen to me, and I won't get mad at anyone if it does." I'm sure the industry would be happier if they could avoid "failure to warn" claims. :wink:
When I was much younger, my aunt and uncle took me and my cousins to Action Park in NJ. I would later find out that Action Park had an abysmal safety record. It was shut down a few years later.

Anyway, they had an Alpine Slide ride there which was really fun. A concrete slide weaved down the side of a hill. You rode down the slide in a wheeled sled. The cart had controls fir speed, push forward to go faster, pull back to slow down. All along the way up, and some spots down, there were pictures of riders with the road rash they received when their sled left the track around the curves. The pics didn’t slow me down much, but I can say that I at least thought about them on some of the tighter curves

When I was much younger, my aunt and uncle took me and my cousins to Action Park in NJ. I would later find out that Action Park had an abysmal safety record. It was shut down a few years later.

Anyway, they had an Alpine Slide ride there which was really fun. A concrete slide weaved down the side of a hill. You rode down the slide in a wheeled sled. The cart had controls fir speed, push forward to go faster, pull back to slow down. All along the way up, and some spots down, there were pictures of riders with the road rash they received when their sled left the track around the curves. The pics didn’t slow me down much, but I can say that I at least thought about them on some of the tighter curves
When I was a ski patroller, there were more accidents with the sledding hill than on the mountain. I'm so glad I was never assigned that. Some days were absolute carnage.

some regulators wanted to skip past putting pointless warning boxes on cigarettes, and put pictures on them. Of ruined lungs, cancer, etc. Scary pictures that couldn't be overlooked.
They use those on packs in Mexico. Shrug.

Condolences to her family and friends, that sucks.

Northern California is know as a Great White mecca. There have been numerous attacks here.
One of the most vulnerable groups are the surfers followed by the freedivers. I’m not a surfer but I have done my fair share of freediving.
I’ve never seen one or been buzzed (not that I know of anyway), but I have talked to people and heard accounts of people who have been buzzed. Only one guy I know had an encounter while blowing bubbles, a commercial urchin diver, was buzzed while he was working on hookah and it got him out of the water for two years. He wouldn’t dip a toe in the water.
Another guy I know got buzzed not far from shore as he was scouting the day before an abalone/spearfishing competition that we were doing. The shark made a beeline for him with open mouth and at the last second banked left and was gone. Scared the crap out if him.
Scuba divers in my area never seem to be harmed or even buzzed. I have never seen one yet. I hope to see one some day, and I hope the interaction is peaceful. I think it would be awesome to see one of those majestic creatures in the wild just cruising by. I don’t know how I would react until it happens.

I don’t know how I would react until it happens.
I know EXACTLY how I'd react. I'd be buying a new undergarment and dry suit as no way is that stink coming out, not matter how hard I pressure wash the inside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom