• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

stuck insert in provalve

Discussion in 'Tanks, Valves and Bands' started by mjones78, Oct 18, 2016.

1. halocline

halocline Solo Diver

Yep. The inserts sit in the tanks while 90% plus of the divers renting them are using yoke, then one day a DIN user comes along, gets out to the reef, and finds the insert welded in place with months of salt.

Yoke valves have proven themselves to be pretty hardy in rental fleets and charters where they get abused daily. DIN is great for technical diving and tanks that are reasonably well treated, but I can't imagine them holding up as well in high volume caribbean locations where the tanks are tossed around.

2. Scared Silly

Scared Silly Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    When I was playing DM I especially liked having yoke valves because there was no screwing around - literally and figuratively as we used a fill whip with a pneumatic yoke.

[​IMG]

3. Panstey77

Panstey77 Angel Fish

Hi everyone,

Picking up on an old thread I know.... but I'd like to know what are the most appropriate tools to use, in order to clean dirty/corroded inserts and the inside of the tank valve? I've removed the inserts and their or-rings and placed them into a bowl of white vinegar to soak. Is a steel brush too much? Would a toothbrush be more appropriate? Also, it's been mentioned to wash the inserts after diving? I was always told never to get the inserts or inside of the valves wet when filling. As I refill my tanks immediately after they come back from the dive and have been rinsed (due to limited time), I currently towel dry followed by blast dry valve and insert before filling.

Thanks

4. Zef

Zef Divemaster

For seemingly hopelessly stuck inserts, one can take a dremel and cut/grind a slot in the insert to accept a large flat blade screw driver. Then use the screw driver to apply enough torque to unscrew the insert. Worst case, you use the dremel to cut/grind through the insert and use a cold chisel to remove it in pieces.

-Z

5. Scared Silly

A soak in a 50/50 vinegar solution if needed. Other wise just remove, rinse in water, and dry. Then reinsert. Use a brass brush to clean the threads if needed. A toothbrush and cleanser if often enough. Never do fills if wet as you will blow water into the cylinder. If you are doing fills after a dive, just remove the inserts when you get home.

6. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Took me a while folks to realise Allen keys are only for port plugs, Allen, and getting lost
    as a matter of fact my fathers two small sets of af and metric, the ones on the ring with
    the springs I have just recently replaced, having been party to dwindling their numbers
    for fifty years

So you hit them and they spring and apply just enough force to damage
    the piece you are trying to free without cracking anything except your fingers
    of course regs included

I use din valves for din and yoke valves for yoke so my insert issues only come about when people
    give me seized valves and after they decline my offer to remove for them the thing, I rub my hand together
    because the other one is organising a phosphoric or hydrochloric non chrome threatening bath, then they
    spin out like, and it's probably best to not to repeat the example I have in my mind

for the non silicone grease anti contamination people is, understanding best practice for dummies
    and then adapting, to use between threads and then understanding that the one billion zillionth
    of a pound of water encapsulated by the miniscule amount of silicone grease applied to threads will do SFA

mainly on 100% o2 clean reg bodies where that heavenly feeling becomes apparent
    when months later during service or just for inspection you are able to unscrew
    your first stages by hand

The silicone that is on the threads outside the orings that maintain your o2ability

full.jpg

now something like these

7. Zef

Zef Divemaster

I am interested to know what language you are cutting and pasting into google translate. your posts are really hard to follow.

-Z

laikabear and JackD342 like this.
  8. rjack321

rjack321 Captain

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    dilute white vinegar and an ultrasonic cleaner will clean up both the valve threads and the insert.

you could use a toothbrush but the ultrasonic cleaner will work better, dont run them too long in vinegar (and dilute the vinegar down 50/50) or you'll take off the chrome

9. Scared Silly

Friday night posting while drunk down under???

noj3333 likes this.
  10. scubafanatic

scubafanatic Great White

"That gibberish he talked was Cityspeak, gutter talk, a mishmash of Japanese, Spanish, German, what have you. I didn’t really need a translator. I knew the lingo, every good cop did. But I wasn’t going to make it easier for him."
    ―Rick Deckard (original Bladerunner)

Bob DBF and JackD342 like this.