Stuart Cove Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive n00b

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey All...

New diver and new to the forums but I have read just about every post about Stuarts in the archive. Still have a few questions...

Wife and I will be heading there in 2 weeks for our fist dives since getting certified at Scuba Caribe in Punta Cana back in May.

1.) Other than the shark adventure (wife wont consider it just yet) what are some of the better sites to request at SC keeping our skill level in mind

2.) Whats the DM to diver ratio generally? Any tips for ensuring we can stay close to the DM other than just tipping in advance and being honest about our (lack of) experience level?

3.) We havent been deeper than about 45-50ft, seems like most of the wall sites at Stuarts are at about 80. Any issue there? Things to be aware of?

4.) Whats the rental gear like at SC? I know its all relatively new Scuba Pro gear, but in practice is it actually good quality well maintained stuff or is it worth renting gear from our LDS and taking it down witih us?

5.) For early November what kind of exposure protection is recommended. My wife chills easily, me not so much? Their website says they rent 5mm full suits, I suspect that would be fine, but would my wife would freeze if all they had were shorty's or 3 mils?

Any other tips or advice for really new divers heading out to Stuarts for the first time?

thanks all... much appreciated!

I don't work at or speak for SC's. i did however just complete a DM course there (finally! Ow!)

1&3) in my experience Bahamas (Shallow seas- direct translation) diving is generally shallow. the wall to the west and south of NP generally starts around 40 to 50 feet. there are exceptions. During the dive breifing you'll be directed to remain within you experience/ capabilities and more importantly certification. Newbe's on OW-60'. Basically just dont drop over the wall!
The guides are (almost always) normally instructors. the worst ones there are at least BLOODY good! they'll just about all stick to about 70' off the wall and remain with the most conservative of the group. Issues- a) consider buying/hiring a computer each. it does give a certain confidence.
b)Stick close to your buddy first, the guide'll have enuff to worry about. if your sensible enuff to ask questions like this here, you'll already qualify as one of the more sensible divers in the group!
c)Try to relax about it. you're diving with a most professional outfit, with the best staff/kit around, in ideal conditions. Stick to you trainning and you'll love it!
Good shallow sites include: Nari Nari: Bond Wrecks: Southwest reef: Pumpkin Patch: Holly Wood Bowl: Elk Horn Gardens.
2)The ratio of guide to diver varies greatly. 6 people on the morning dive this am to one instructor leading and one instructor taking cool pics! 12 people this pm and again 2 instructors.
Don't be shy or embarrassed about your level of experience.
Talk to the staff, they're thoroughly professional and helpfull. It's the gung-ho die hards that piss DM's off! untill your offers of help are turned flat by the guy who's set his bcd upside down and is desparately trying to put the scuba unit on?!? "no no i'm fine thank you! i HAVE done this before!" Yes mate!
or the lady stood tapping her foot pouting. "yes i WOULD like some help setting up my kit if it NOT TOO much trouble! In thirty dives i've never had to ask for help. someone always does it for me!" Mmmm.....Answer's in the question luv!
If you are honest and upfront you'll score more cudos than the most time hardened experienced diver. Simply because you're a know quantity. Seriously consider a refresher course. if you're really nervous, there's nothing like going over the basics to lend youself some confidence.
4) The sucba pro kit is time proven and basic. there's little to go wrong. in over two yrs of diving here abouts i've heard of a gauge failing once. nothing else. It's not the best gear on the market, it is the best for this application.
5) they have an equiptment hall full of full length 5mm's. you probably won't feel the chill underwater though. it always gets me on the way back to the dock. consider a water proof bag with mabe a fleece top/trousers for once your back on board. go for man made fibres that still insulate when wet in case of splash. Mabe glooves for the missus and perhaps a hood?(NOT too tight) extremities tend to go first.
Other tips? Always pose for the camera. there's no obligation to buy but you'll be dead pissed if ever one else has good shots and you don't! and these photographers are GOOD! they know what works!
Get the missus talking to folk after their shark dive. she will want to do it, she just doesn't know it yet! it is an event!! i've been lucky enuff about 10 times so far. Last time in a group of only three on the tail end of the Ray Of Hope wreck. Tip Top old bean!
Best advice ever? Listen to the boat/dive/photographer's briefings! You will be told EVERYTHING you need to hear. the trick is to listen when you heart's beatting in you mouth and the adrenalins kicking in!
Enjoy!
I know you will.
Dan

I don't work at or speak for SC's. i did however just complete a DM course there (finally! Ow!)

1&3) in my experience Bahamas (Shallow seas- direct translation) diving is generally shallow. the wall to the west and south of NP generally starts around 40 to 50 feet. there are exceptions. During the dive breifing you'll be directed to remain within you experience/ capabilities and more importantly certification. Newbe's on OW-60'. Basically just dont drop over the wall!
The guides are (almost always) normally instructors. the worst ones there are at least BLOODY good! they'll just about all stick to about 70' off the wall and remain with the most conservative of the group. Issues- a) consider buying/hiring a computer each. it does give a certain confidence.
b)Stick close to your buddy first, the guide'll have enuff to worry about. if your sensible enuff to ask questions like this here, you'll already qualify as one of the more sensible divers in the group!
c)Try to relax about it. you're diving with a most professional outfit, with the best staff/kit around, in ideal conditions. Stick to you trainning and you'll love it!
Good shallow sites include: Nari Nari: Bond Wrecks: Southwest reef: Pumpkin Patch: Holly Wood Bowl: Elk Horn Gardens.
2)The ratio of guide to diver varies greatly. 6 people on the morning dive this am to one instructor leading and one instructor taking cool pics! 12 people this pm and again 2 instructors.
Don't be shy or embarrassed about your level of experience.
Talk to the staff, they're thoroughly professional and helpfull. It's the gung-ho die hards that piss DM's off! untill your offers of help are turned flat by the guy who's set his bcd upside down and is desparately trying to put the scuba unit on?!? "no no i'm fine thank you! i HAVE done this before!" Yes mate!
or the lady stood tapping her foot pouting. "yes i WOULD like some help setting up my kit if it NOT TOO much trouble! In thirty dives i've never had to ask for help. someone always does it for me!" Mmmm.....Answer's in the question luv!
If you are honest and upfront you'll score more cudos than the most time hardened experienced diver. Simply because you're a know quantity. Seriously consider a refresher course. if you're really nervous, there's nothing like going over the basics to lend youself some confidence.
4) The sucba pro kit is time proven and basic. there's little to go wrong. in over two yrs of diving here abouts i've heard of a gauge failing once. nothing else. It's not the best gear on the market, it is the best for this application.
5) they have an equiptment hall full of full length 5mm's. you probably won't feel the chill underwater though. it always gets me on the way back to the dock. consider a water proof bag with mabe a fleece top/trousers for once your back on board. go for man made fibres that still insulate when wet in case of splash. Mabe glooves for the missus and perhaps a hood?(NOT too tight) extremities tend to go first.
Other tips? Always pose for the camera. there's no obligation to buy but you'll be dead pissed if ever one else has good shots and you don't! and these photographers are GOOD! they know what works!
Get the missus talking to folk after their shark dive. she will want to do it, she just doesn't know it yet! it is an event!! i've been lucky enuff about 10 times so far. Last time in a group of only three on the tail end of the Ray Of Hope wreck. Tip Top old bean!
Best advice ever? Listen to the boat/dive/photographer's briefings! You will be told EVERYTHING you need to hear. the trick is to listen when you heart's beatting in you mouth and the adrenalins kicking in!
Enjoy!
I know you will.
Dan

Dan,

Thanks for your helpful response... lots of useful stuff in there, just read it to the wifey and it calmed her right down. Other posts we read online indicated that the DM would gide the group down to the maximum allowable depth and that the noobs would have to stay a little higher up and try to follow the group below. That made her extremely nervous... your post fixed that. Its also good to know that there are 2 instructor level divers in the water, although one is obviously going to be all over the place shooting photos. Again, we had read that SC ran cattle boats with like 15 divers to 1 DM.

So are you a foreigner living in the Bahamas? Aussie? My cousins live there too and are Canadian ex-pats. Where abouts do you live? Will you be around the week of Nov 8th? Interested in diving Stuarts again? Maybe we could coordinate to dive on the same boat or whatever (assuming you dont mind being around some n00bs).

Cheers!

If we bump into each other down there, the first few Kalik's are on me!

Yeah man, no worries.
But British! please!
Seriously, i dive SC's regularly. They are busy. sometimes i've seen 30 odd divers to one instructor and a photographer. it does get hectic. BUT not at this time of year.
Cattle boat? yeah! truth be told. But, if you're on your game and stick to the trainning you shine, every time!
And let the Noobs thing go mate. Breathing underwater is a bit unusual! it's only natural to be **** scared of doing something that could well end up with you badly hurt, in an uncomfortable environment that's hostile on most levels and remote enuff to warrent concern about back up!
My point is that you get trainned, you implement the trainning and you gauge the risk.
You already exhibited a most conservative attitude in asking the very sensible questions you have. Don't beat youself up tho. Others'll do that for you!
trust me. you'll be fine! these guy's are pros!
As for diving with you? yeah, no wuckin furries. i'll pm you my cell.
Gimme a shout when you're down this way.

Hi Dive N00b,

Dantheengineer has good advice/info. Just a couple things to add:

My husband and I dove with SC for 4 days in May and had a really great time. There are usually two DMs with 2 groups of divers, plus the photographer. This was the case on three of our dives. One day, however, the second DM was pulled off the boat at the last minute to do a class. This left ~17 divers with one DM. (There was also a photographer, but they really do not lead/help divers--they are busy shuttling around taking pics--which ARE really great quality).

It was clearly nicer to have smaller groups, but as long as you and your wife keep track of each other and dive within your training you will be fine. Keep in mind that sometimes this means not sticking to the DM like glue. For example, some of them don't always use the anchor line for ascents, but I think it is a good idea until you really master maintaining a 15' safety stop, which is not the easiest skill. This way, you can practice your ascent with a stop at 15', but if you need to you can alway grab the line to slow down or stop. Also, if the DM goes a little deeper than they like, you don't have to descend quite as far. They'll remind you to stay at your certification depth.

The gear is fine. It's a little used (we had 2 bcs with pockets that were blown out), but it all performed just fine. I asked them to swap out a bc for one with intact pockets and they were happy to oblige. I'll admit, this did help us to decide to buy our own bcs and regs, but this is also because we're diving more and more. If you really like the stuff at your local shop you certainly could rent it and bring it with you, but it may not be worth the hassle given that SC rental prices are some of the cheapest I've seen. Also, the staff is great at helping you get the correct size, weight, etc. If you dive on multiple days they'll remember you and often your gear sizes too.

It's a big operation, but the DMs were absolutely top notch (we loved Vivi and Eric!) and it's well-run. I'm sure you'll have a blast. Enjoy!

Spot on Missus Cod!
Sadly Eric has moved on now. Vivian is still going from strength to strength. She is a remarkably skilled diver and an exceptionally gifted instructor!

Hi Dive N00b,

Dantheengineer has good advice/info. Just a couple things to add:

My husband and I dove with SC for 4 days in May and had a really great time. There are usually two DMs with 2 groups of divers, plus the photographer. This was the case on three of our dives. One day, however, the second DM was pulled off the boat at the last minute to do a class. This left ~17 divers with one DM. (There was also a photographer, but they really do not lead/help divers--they are busy shuttling around taking pics--which ARE really great quality).

It was clearly nicer to have smaller groups, but as long as you and your wife keep track of each other and dive within your training you will be fine. Keep in mind that sometimes this means not sticking to the DM like glue. For example, some of them don't always use the anchor line for ascents, but I think it is a good idea until you really master maintaining a 15' safety stop, which is not the easiest skill. This way, you can practice your ascent with a stop at 15', but if you need to you can alway grab the line to slow down or stop. Also, if the DM goes a little deeper than they like, you don't have to descend quite as far. They'll remind you to stay at your certification depth.

The gear is fine. It's a little used (we had 2 bcs with pockets that were blown out), but it all performed just fine. I asked them to swap out a bc for one with intact pockets and they were happy to oblige. I'll admit, this did help us to decide to buy our own bcs and regs, but this is also because we're diving more and more. If you really like the stuff at your local shop you certainly could rent it and bring it with you, but it may not be worth the hassle given that SC rental prices are some of the cheapest I've seen. Also, the staff is great at helping you get the correct size, weight, etc. If you dive on multiple days they'll remember you and often your gear sizes too.

It's a big operation, but the DMs were absolutely top notch (we loved Vivi and Eric!) and it's well-run. I'm sure you'll have a blast. Enjoy!

Good advice! Thank you!

I can't wait for our trip... and it seems like the boats wont be quite as busy given the time of year. We fully expect to have an awesome experience. Plus there's an outside chance that we may get to hook up with Dan for a dive or a drink.

Okay all... last question... Which sites have you enjoyed the most... as I understand it you can request certain dive sites, can you guys tell me a bit about your favourites and why? I want to make sure I at least request to hit the top sites.

I know I'd like to hit the bond wrecks, and the shark wall, anything else that is a must-do?

1. As suggested by another poster, you really should take a refresher dive/course, even if it is at a local pool. It will really boost the self-confidence. Also, study any materials you have, or go to a local library. Get comfortable with attaching the regulator, BC, etc. Remember the 5 P's (Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance).

2. In terms of dive sites, if I recall (it was years ago) Razorback was the best site of the 6 I dove with SC. But not sure how the sites are these days.

3. Just relax and have fun.

Well... it looks like Hurricane Paloma is really gonna mess with our dive plans! We fly out tomorrow morning... Hurricane is supposed be be in the Bahamas right behind us. I really hope we don't get much wind/rain so we can dive... its the whole reason we are heading down there to begin with.

Dan... if you've got any weather updates tonight don't hesitate to post 'em or PM them to me. I know you're out diving now.. hope you're enjoying it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom