Strobe suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry but I live in the Philippines now and travel a lot around Asia. We see a lot of folks diving to 50M with no tech training.

Here is a photo of one used on a recent dive and it was placed on the line at 110M. Not sure of the brand. I thought you were going to be wearing it or something. I understand your question now.

IMG_1500copy.jpg

The one in your photo may be Zeagle branded....this is basically the same unit as my link......
ACR FIREFLY PLUS STROBE FLASHLIGHT COMBO : Discount Marine Electronics - GPS, Fishfinders, VHF
Zeagle Strobe & Flashlight Combo - Online SCUBA Gear

Thanks for the suggestion. The key reason is to mark the anchor line or entry point in poor visibility conditions. Say for example you are doing a wreck dive and visibility is not so good. Apart from knowing directionally which way to go, I saw other divers on occasions attach a flashing strobe to the anchor line at depth. That way there is an additional marker of where to return to for safe ascent. This also helps in accounting of how many people are still at depth and who has yet to return.

cheers
Mike

We use them for the same reasons. Mine is a Tektite with a xenon bulb.

The strobe/flashlight combo in the picture is rated to 130'. They are marketed by Mares, Zeagle, and others. If you aren't going below 130, shouldn't be an issue. Deeper than that Princeton makes one that is rated to 500', is small and runs on 1 AA battery. Problem is they aren't the brightest thing I have ever seen and the Tektite is a lot brighter but it is a bit bigger running on 2 C batteries. Tektite has a model...I don't remember the number, but I know LeisurePro sells them, that runs on 3 AA batteries that is the best compromise I could find between size and performance.

Great deal on Princeton Tec Aqua Strobe Dive Light from Divers-Supply.com

The strobe/flashlight combo in the picture is rated to 130'. They are marketed by Mares, Zeagle, and others.

Actually the one in the photo is rated to 328ft.. I own one like that in my first link above.

not AAs but perhaps one of the best strobes on the market...Jotron AQ4

Why do you want one? for what purpose? Im unsure from your post...

I just had a look at the Jotron strobe and I think this is what my friend had. It looks very well built and I like the single sliding on button. You wouldn't get any problems turning it on with think gloves on your hands.

FYI....go to Marine strobes under the products tab.......

ACR Electronics, Inc.

The Firefly Plus looks good and has the added advantage on being omni-directional. It says it's good to 100m, but doesn't specifically say it's for diving use.

Does anyone know if the Xenon light globes are robust (shock proof)? I have a HID canister light and you have to be careful with those as any unfortunate bump tends to blow the light globe.

Back
Top Bottom