Strobe recommendation for S95 in Ikelite housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triggerman365

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got a S95 and an Ikelite housing. I would like to get a strobe as soon as I can afford it. I was thinking about the Ikelite DS-51, but wondered if there are other strobe recommendations? Thanks for the help.

I just got the Sea & Sea YS01 on a recommendation. Although I haven't had a chance to completely try it out yet, so far, it seems like a real nice option.

An Underwater Photography instructor has recommended this one to me

UWdigitalcamera.com :: Strobe :: INON :: INON S-2000 Strobe

INON S-2000 Strobe

Same fundamental features as D-2000 in ultra comact body
Guide Number 20.
Circular 110 degree beam coverage with a diffuser
Precise "S-TTL" mode & 12 step "Manual"
Next generation wireless TTL
Powerful 4 x AA batteries operation
Minimum recycle time of 1.6 seconds at full flash

You are ahead of me tho... I have finally decided on the S95 but have yet to get it or the housing

An Underwater Photography instructor has recommended this one to me

UWdigitalcamera.com :: Strobe :: INON :: INON S-2000 Strobe

INON S-2000 Strobe

Same fundamental features as D-2000 in ultra comact body
Guide Number 20.
Circular 110 degree beam coverage with a diffuser
Precise "S-TTL" mode & 12 step "Manual"
Next generation wireless TTL
Powerful 4 x AA batteries operation
Minimum recycle time of 1.6 seconds at full flash

You are ahead of me tho... I have finally decided on the S95 but have yet to get it or the housing

Initially, that's the strobe I thought I wanted. Reef Photo steered me towards the YS01 because it has a built in focus light, the control is easier to work with gloves on, and it has a lower price.

Initially, that's the strobe I thought I wanted. Reef Photo steered me towards the YS01 because it has a built in focus light, the control is easier to work with gloves on, and it has a lower price.

Would the S&S YS01 or the Inon S-2000 allow for TTL with the Ikelite housing?

I'm not an expert. I'm going to run it STTL and I believe you can do that with any housing. You just connect a fiber optic cable in front of the camera flash. The FIX housing has a port to plug it right in. If the ikelite doesn't you could rig something up, I'm sure. In fact, I think this is the only way to do TTL with an S95 because it doesn't have a hot shoe.

Except for the price tag( & that may be the reason why), why not the S&S 110a??.....TIA....

Back
Top Bottom