Strobe Decisions... ...help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nettie-NZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I'm in a quandary about which strobe to buy.

I've got an Olympus TG4 and casing and I've narrowed my options down to the S&S YS-01 or the YS-D2. As much as I want the YS-D2 the cost of the YS-D2 really is stretching me budget-wise at the moment - it really is more than I would like to spend.

Am I going to be disappointed if I only get the YS-01? At the moment I'm only using a light with my camera.

I am really keen on macro (been to Lembeh a couple of times and looking at going to Anilao sometime soon too) but my next dive destination is Coiba, so much more of a WA place.

Looking out into the future I have my beloved Olympus OMD EM5 as well (and a variety of lenses) but I don't have a housing for it.... ...yet - and I'm almost too scared to put it in a housing in case it floods. Ultimately I probably will buy a housing for it (and get another camera body) and it would be great to have a rig with two strobes on it. At that stage it would be nice to have two strobes the same - or would it be ok to have a YS-01 and a YS-D2 together? Are two YS-01's a good combination?

Any advice appreciated! Have a great Easter!

Last edited:
With that camera the YS-D2 is serious overkill. The ONLY reason to go there is if you SERIOUSLY think you will upgrade in the future.
I've .....just.....started using an 01 plus a D1 with a 7-14 lens on an Olympus EPL-3 and it seems to be OK.
Prior to that I used 2x-01 with an EPL-1 with stock 14-42 lens and that worked fine from macro (diopter) to as wide angle as it would go.

Last edited:
Or go the inon S2000, a bit lower cost, smaller and almost the same spec INON S-2000 Strobe- The S-2000 is a dual use underwater/land S-TTL Auto Strobe w

I bought an Inon D2000 when I had the POS camera with the view that it could move o my next setup. I now have new Sony Nex5 setup with two Inon strobes... and the POS with the original strobe :eek:

Hi;

The YS-01 has some issues working in TTL with the TG-4. It will work, but you have to set the camera up and that setup has to be repeated each time you turn the camera on. Manual works fine. You can see this article for more info (look under "Flash Control".

We generally recommend the Sea & Sea YS-03 package with the TG-4, as it is the same power and works fine in TTL. It's a bargain as it includes and tray arm and sync cord.

The YS-D2 also works fine. The Inon s-2000 is also a good strobe, but the controls are tiny, don't plan on using it with gloves.

You mention you'd like to house your E-M5 and move up. That's where buying a good strobe once will save buying it again later. Underwater it's all about light. If you have an SLR with a wide angle lens and dome , you are quickly going to run out of power with a YS-01, etc.

You might look at our Handbook "Choosing an UW Lighting System".

BTW, I wouldn't spend the money to house your E-M5, it's pretty old now. I would move up to an E-M1, or wait until later in the year for a strongly-rumored successor. Most of the better housings now have a vacuum leak system that can virtually make taking your camera underwater pretty leak (and fool) proof.

You might also enjoy our Handbook "Choosing an UW Camera & Housing".

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone! Jack - your handbooks are excellent!
Decided to go with a YS-01. Managed to get a good price for one here in NZ - unusual that it was cheaper than getting one in the US while I'm visiting soon. Much appreciated Jack for the advice about the TTL for the TG-4.

I will move up to a m43 system underwater and invest in better strobe(s) then. Not sure when, it's going to have to be a compromise between going on dive trips and buying gear for dive trips..... ....sometimes it's a difficult decision!

How about the Olympus UFL-3? It works straight forward with the TG-4 in RC mode.

With that camera the YS-D2 is serious overkill.

Why do you say that? More light is good, no matter what camera you're using, isn't it? Is there something else about the YS-D2 that makes it overkill for a less expensive camera?

I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP. Just getting my first u/w camera rig. After reading up, I was thinking that the D2 looked like the top candidate for my first strobe. I gather 2 strobes is better than one, but I'd rather buy one really good one soon and one really good one later than 1 or 2 cheaper ones now and then bench one or two of them later in favor of buying 2 x D2s later.

We generally recommend the Sea & Sea YS-03 package with the TG-4, as it is the same power and works fine in TTL. It's a bargain as it includes and tray arm and sync cord.

With the YS-03, though, do you still have the option of adding a slave strobe down the road as with the 01?

Yes, you can easily add a second strobe. It's best to connect it to the camera with a second sync cord though.

Yes, you can easily add a second strobe. It's best to connect it to the camera with a second sync cord though.
Ok, that makes sense. For some reason I was thinking the strobe had to have some sort of TTL slave function.

Sorry for the noob questions but I'm new to strobes :). I've got a TG-4 with housing and am looking to upgrade my rig with a strobe.

Back
Top Bottom