strengthening rotor cuff muscles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spratman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy,

I've been looking around for some exercises specific to my shoulder area. I'm don't a lot of weight lifting but not much since I blew out my disc. I have pain in both rotor cuffs from doing push ups last year. I think I aggravated them and need to do something to strengthen them and also allow for more flexibility since I'm switching to doubles this year.

thanks!

USE CARE!!! when dealing with rotor cuff injury... the fact that you have problems in both may indicate something genetic or endemic. Please see a doctor before you do anything that might TEAR a muscle. Been there done that.

But, in the meantime: push-ups require to much weight to be lifted, try 5# wieghts and do lats with them. Stop at the first sign of pain. After a couple of weeks with no pain, add weight slowly and increase reps.

Don't have your age, but there are specific age associated arthritis of the shoulder. A good orthopedist can recommend a physical therapist for you. Might want a physical therapy center in a gym, so they can show the wide range of equipment to use.

Physical therapy has improved my rotator cuff injury to the point where it no longer impedes normal activities, including weight and aerobic workouts. At its worst, I couldn't raise my arm at all and one doctor recommended surgery. I had a cortisone shot and physical therapy that started with stretches aimed at increasing the range of motion and progressed to strengthening exercises. These varied from tossing a 2 pound medicine ball to lifting light dumbells. I think you probably need a physical therapist to evaluate your particular problem. I stayed with the therapist for a couple of months and now continue the exercises on my own.

Thanks to all. I'm 53 and have always been in pretty good shape. This actually happened last year alternating from normal pushups (elbows perpendicular to the body) to the "proper" pushups (upper arms parallel to the body).

At one point last year, I could barely get to 30 degrees from my sides. This year is not as bad however, I still have pain in the front part of the joint. I can feel it when I press on it. I didn't have any trouble diving last year.

I've been doing some of the stretching exercises to loosen them up. Not bad, but a twinge now and again.

I've had several friends with rotor cuff tears and they had operations. Two of them cannot use the arms they had operated on, so I'm not having that done.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll make an appointment with an ortho doc.

I've had 4 rebuilds of my right shoulder.. now sporting 7 anchors and a screw and for what its worth have scar tissue in the ampit area where others have cartilige. Over the last few months I've been able to start really doing some sort of real strengthening (over 2 years post op #4) to build some sort of muscle in the area and tone the rest of my upper body. What I've really taken a shine to is isometrics. I use the Iso machines by Hammer Max here where I work and they have made a HUGE difference in how I can address and work with my shoulder so I don't aggrivate it further and still get a work out. :)

Thanks, Colin. Prior to this starting, I remember I used to get cramps in those muscles if I had to really stretch to reach something on the floor. I didn't even know that you could GET cramps in your shoulder joints....I wonder if that was a warning sign.

At any rate, I need to get in gear and start doing something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom