Streamlining my equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not the connector as much as the hose itself. The inside lumen of a reg hose is larger bore than a BCD hose. You can't breathe through a BCD hose deeper than about 20 feet. Try breathing through a garden hose at the bottom of a swimming pool.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

It's not the connector as much as the hose itself. The inside lumen of a reg hose is larger bore than a BCD hose. You can't breathe through a BCD hose deeper than about 20 feet. Try breathing through a garden hose at the bottom of a swimming pool.

You can sip air from a standard BC inflator at 100 ft.. I have done it. Probably much deeper.

The air 2 hose has a different fitting on the end which is similar to that used on pneumatic tools and it is designed to deliver a higher flow rate than the shreader valve (spelling ?) on a normal inflator hose.

The air 2 hoses ARE regulator hoses, you just buy a special adapter for the end..

The AirII hose isn't the same as an LPI hose. It's specific for the AirII.

I've used one without the slightest difficulty at 130'.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

It is actually two hose. One inflates and deflates the BC and the other runs the Air II. air2.jpgMake sure you get the right hose from your reg to the Air II, as the hose end (looks like a Schrader valve) is different for the Scuba Pro Air II and the Zeagle Octo Z. Here you can see the two buttons that are used to inflate and deflate. You can still use the Air II to manually inflate the BC or breathe off of it at depth. Some BC's have a piece that covers both hoses to make it look like one piece which also adds to the stream line. Don't forget you gotta' practice a little with it so you can inflate and deflate while the Air II is in your mouth. It's not a big deal.

You can sip air from a standard BC inflator at 100 ft.. I have done it. Probably much deeper.

The air 2 hose has a different fitting on the end which is similar to that used on pneumatic tools and it is designed to deliver a higher flow rate than the shreader valve (spelling ?) on a normal inflator hose.

The air 2 hoses ARE regulator hoses, you just buy a special adapter for the end..

The AirII hose isn't the same as an LPI hose. It's specific for the AirII.

I've used one without the slightest difficulty at 130'.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

Correct. I was responding to the question about why a regular BCD hose and QD could not be used. If the question was only about the connector, then it is just about the flow through the smaller lumen of the QD. And while you think you may have been breathing ok from a regular BCD hose and inflator, I can almost guarantee that you were also breathing stored air from the bladder. I carried a second stage with a QD to be able to access my onboard O2. I plugged it in on the dil side once at depth. It was like sucking through a straw. Not exactly what you want during the stress of trying to ascend while holding on to someone and venting through the same hose connected to your mouth.

Well, we got out for some more diving this weekend and I got to test out some of the suggestions I read here. As a thank you for your suggestions, here's my follow up.

I went with the regulator necklace for the back-up and it worked nice. I had to tie it a bit shorter than I have pictured, so that it was tucked near my chin. I also realized the problem of using a hose that was too long on the back up reg. I've got it tucked under my arm until I buy a short hose for it. Additionally, the hose on my primary is now just a bit too short. It works okay with the braided flex hose that I bought, but I still can't look forward very well (at least when I've got myself trimmed right). Definitely need a longer hose here for the long term.

The bolt snap worked perfectly for my wife's console! It stayed put and she didn't even need to unclip it to read. Her octo still detached once on each of our dives, so we'll either need to secure it better using one of the excellent suggestions here, or switch her over to a regulator necklace as well.

reg-necklace.jpgboltsnap.jpg

Thanks for letting everyone know how it is going. This is a a great community for learning and sharing.

Well, we got out for some more diving this weekend and I got to test out some of the suggestions I read here. As a thank you for your suggestions, here's my follow up.

I went with the regulator necklace for the back-up and it worked nice. I had to tie it a bit shorter than I have pictured, so that it was tucked near my chin. I also realized the problem of using a hose that was too long on the back up reg. I've got it tucked under my arm until I buy a short hose for it. Additionally, the hose on my primary is now just a bit too short. It works okay with the braided flex hose that I bought, but I still can't look forward very well (at least when I've got myself trimmed right). Definitely need a longer hose here for the long term.

The bolt snap worked perfectly for my wife's console! It stayed put and she didn't even need to unclip it to read. Her octo still detached once on each of our dives, so we'll either need to secure it better using one of the excellent suggestions here, or switch her over to a regulator necklace as well.

View attachment 216766View attachment 216767
Try a 22" (56cm) hose for the reg on the necklace. That should clean up that hose for you.

You want to run your other hose.. the back up reg under your arm as well. Also, i would tie the bolt snap onto the hose about 4-8 inches from the console.. with zero leash on it. the snap is tied right to the hose tightly.

If you use that same string and tie a constrictor knot it will hold tightly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constrictor_knot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom