Question Streamlining computer cable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I noticed in some pictures that the cable of my Petrel sometimes detaches from my arm. While not a big deal in open water, this could pose a serious entanglement threat in overhead diving.

I wonder how others are ensuing that the cable stays very close to the arm.

Reactions: OTF
Custom length cable 😁
That.

If it’s the correct length with the arm extended but bowed out with the arm bent, a loop of bungee around the bicep or crook of the elbow can help.

As has been said, first option for me is to put on computer, then rotated it 360 around my arm to make it wrap around my forearm. My wife's required us to zitpie a loop into the cable to shorten it and then she wrapped. Once we figured out the ideal length for her we had the cable shortened.

With a little bend in my arm and arms Infront of me this is the perfect length I adjusted length three times with loosening the gland at the head to get it right . Consequently I have two or so visible crimps in the cable from the gland pinching.

My prism has almost 2 full wraps on my arm. It's crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_6672.jpg
    IMG_6672.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 72
Custom length to ensure that you can wrap the cable around your arm.

You want the cable to be relatively tight around your arm when diving overhead. If you go with a custom length cable that does NOT wrap, you may still have entanglement hazard when you move your arm. For all my cables (computer, light), I am going with a setup that allows me to wrap the cables around the arm.

Don't OCD about the exact measurement - as long as you can move the computer up and down a bit, you should be fine.

If you don't want to wrap the cable around the arm, consider a bungee cord or something along those lines that keeps the cable close to your arm in any position.

I had the same problem.
Rather than change the cable length, now I have a loop of bungee tied onto the cable. I put my arm through that loop, and the loop sits above my elbow then the computer on my wrist. The bungee keeps it all nice and tidy and close to my arm.

I do a double loop bungie. One around the arm and the other around the cable. This way when computer is removed, the bungie stays with the cable. Either way consider the KISS principle. Ask yourself what the drawbacks are to shortening the cable?

Cheers

and extra bungee on your arm and the cable under the bungee, problem solved

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom