Strange behaviour of cleaner fish caught on camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sierrakilo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys

I caught something on video I've never seen before anywhere. I've seen "tame" fish (that had been fed on previous occasions) and even a few fish trying to rub against divers, presumably trying to rid themselves of parasites.

But what on earth is going on here?

The dive guide said the fish was his friend, but he looked all sly saying it. ...Uhm sure.

Hope someone can offer a good explanation because I'm really curious!

By the way, the dive site is one I often frequent, and I have never seen this behaviour before.

Kind regards, SK

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks sort of like the "tonic immobility" that some sharks demonstrate when turned upside down or rubbed on the snout. This causes the shark to become almost paralysed, possibly an instinctive mating reaction, although nobody knows for sure.

Trout are known to display a similar reaction and "Trout Tickling" is an old method of catching the fist by hand. I've never heard of it in reef fish before - but I know where there are some "tame" cleaner wrasse in my area so perhaps it might be possible to duplicate. If I ever find out, I will let you know!

Cheers

C.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Hi

Perhaps Crowley got it. I don't know - I'm sure most of us have had many close encounters with cleaner fish, having wounds picked at, earwax removed or what else the little critters do. I just never seen something like this - I'll be watching the same guy, and see if I can learn what he does - if it is indeed a "tonic immobility" as displayed in sharks, it must be something you could do yourself.

If I find out, I'll be sure to let you know.

Best regards, SK

Hi

having wounds picked at, earwax removed or what else the little critters do.

Had my teethe cleaned and my earwax eaten today by the cleaners I mentioned in my previous post. Didn't have the heart to tickle them though, they were both so very helpful!

Cheers

C.

I also haven't made any real progress. I met the divemaster again today, but asking questions along the lines of "no, seriously man - I really want to know..." didn't yeild any answers.

For what it's worth he said he could tickle any beastie, and then he proceeded to tickle me - the cheeky bastard! :crafty:

/ SK

That does not look like a happy fish to me. Meaning I don't think this is normal behaviour for a healthy fish. But I study nudibranchs, so what do I know :wink:...

Does it behave like this every time you visit? Did the divemaster perhaps unintentionally hurt it?

Hi.

I agree it's very unusual behaviour for a fish. I'm quite sure he didn't hurt the fish - or if he did, I didn't see it. I edited the video, the raw footage was a bit longer, but once he "said goodbye" to the fish, it went a meter or two away to its cleaning station and did what you'd expect a cleanerfish to do. Swim around in the same place more or less, and wait for customers =) It was very odd.

There are many cleaner fish on that particular location, so I can't ID it, but I haven't witnesses anything like it before or since - neither there nor anywhere else.

Best regards, SK

Back
Top Bottom