Stranded Pilot Whales need your help in Key Largo, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of curiosity...after reading through all the threads, and looking at the Marine Mammal Conservancy Website: I was wondering if the pilot whales were ever identified as Long-finned Pilot Whales (Globicephala melas) or Short-finned Pilot Whales (Globicephala macrorhynchus). It never was mentioned.

Lock Washer

To the best of my knowledge they are shortfinned pilot whales, long finned are more common in the north.

Another trip to Key Largo yesterday afternoon for a shift. Along with me were SB member Chris and his wife. Despite a full page of volunteers signing up, only about 15 showed up. The MMC's biggest needs besides volunteers is heavy duty large trash bags.
The whales in my opinion seem to be doing better than last week. Nothing in particular to note, but it just seemed they were doing better. 302 and 300's position were switched, keeping 301 in the middle. I keep getting different information on the age of the whales, now I am hearing 301, the youngest is comparable to a year old toddler, and the other two as young teens. Nobody is saying what the end result of these whales will be, but to instead focus on rehab. I was able to get on the baby again. :) She is very easy to hold, but you must be on your guard at all times. She is a little rodeo girl and will take off at no warning.
300 is active and be ready for a whale of a time. She bucks and twists everytime somebody comes in the water. Whoo hoo!!!

Saw this article today in the Sun Sentinel:

Effort to save three pilot whales stranded in Keys debated - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

I have never seen such a hatred of Sea World that these animal rights activist would prefer the pilot whales be euthanized before they have a chance at recovery. Just to keep them from going to Sea World if they are unable to be released back into the wild. Pretty sad commentary on life.

Lock Washer

That's pretty sad.

302 Monday the 6th--I spent about 2 and a half or 3 afternoon hours with her. The first surprise, her skin is not a teenager's--it is more like mine, 65 years old and too much time in the sun! I was in the primary spot on her left holding by dorsal and pectoral fins and lifting the pectoral when she breathed to keep the blowhole out of the water. Small fact-the blowhole is offset a little to the left, or port side. I needed to lift a bit when she breathed, which was around 5 times in 5 minutes. Lots of small indentations, variations, growths, gouges, etc. I noticed that the side and top of her head appeared to have some underskin roughness--little rises and falls.

Her breathing seemed strong, rather powerful exhalation and inhalation, she tended to sink when breathing out, just one of the similarities among us air breathers. I wonder how powerful her breathing will be when healthy.

As I left, I could smell the whale on my suit and towel--I liked it!! I guess it was a combo of fresh Herring odor and whale snot--I tried to find it on my towel the next day but it was back to smelling like a towel--too bad!

The whales (and I) thank you! :thumb:

Geeez...about time, eh?

That's one thing you can generally count on for business owners in the Keys...zero sense of business!! Someone, such as the property owner that adjoins the MMC site, should have jumped all over this! But alas, that is not to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom