Stowing Long Hose w/Choptima

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PEDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, for those of you diving the Choptima with BM doubles, how are you stowing the long hose? Are you stuffing the long hose under the wing bungee? Bungee loops on your backplate? Bungee loops on your tanks? Normal OC routing?

I’ve tried a few different methods but none I’ve really felt completely comfortable with. Trying to find some different perspectives I can test next time I’m in the water.

I use standard OC routing. I wrap it under the unit and clip off normally on the right chest d ring.

Doing more or less the same while diving my Triton (also chest mounted).

long hose wraps under the CM instead of a battery canister or long hose keeper and is clipped off to right shoulder d ring. I do change to a breakaway on the boltsnap. I leave the long hose keeper in place but don’t use it unless I decide to take the CM off (only reason I’ve ever taken it off was just messing around).

I believe some guys are tucking the long hose into bungee loops along the right side of their backplate. I think one of the best characteristics of the chop is the ability to leave your regular rig mostly unmolested and just add to it without reconfiguring; wrapping long hose under the unit achieves this better than other schemes like aforementioned bungee.

I use standard OC routing. I wrap it under the unit and clip off normally on the right chest d ring.
long hose wraps under the CM instead of a battery canister or long hose keeper and is clipped off to right shoulder d ring. I do change to a breakaway on the boltsnap.

Sounds like this may be the way to go. Any issues with the long hose getting caught on the O2 bottle when deploying? I was experimenting with bungee loops on my tank in sidemount fashion (pretty easy to reach back and deploy without hassle in OW) but don't want to use that in an overhead environment.

Sounds like this may be the way to go. Any issues with the long hose getting caught on the O2 bottle when deploying? I was experimenting with bungee loops on my tank in sidemount fashion (pretty easy to reach back and deploy without hassle in OW) but don't want to use that in an overhead environment.
I don't normally have an o2 bottle mounted there for personal diving.
I have it there when teaching and have never had an issue. You can deploy the reg and share gas with a head duck, at that point you have plenty of time to free and clear the hose.

Out of curiosity, for those of you diving the Choptima with BM doubles, how are you stowing the long hose? Are you stuffing the long hose under the wing bungee? Bungee loops on your backplate? Bungee loops on your tanks? Normal OC routing?

I’ve tried a few different methods but none I’ve really felt completely comfortable with. Trying to find some different perspectives I can test next time I’m in the water.
Normal OC routing, in keeping with the premise that the Chop is a simple direct add-on to your OC config. I change as little as possible so I'm bailing out to my exact familiar OC config. Same goes for donating the long hose. The motion to hand it over is exactly the same. The key to routing the long hose "normally" is to route the hose AFTER the Chop is already in place. That's pretty easy, since the long hose is the last thing that goes in place on OC anyway, so I keep it the last thing when using the CCR.

I don't normally have an o2 bottle mounted there for personal diving.
I have it there when teaching and have never had an issue. You can deploy the reg and share gas with a head duck, at that point you have plenty of time to free and clear the hose.
where is your o2 when you're not teaching?

where is your o2 when you're not teaching?
In an AL6 on the right side of my backplate. My suitgas is in an AL6 on the left.
I use it for the bottom portion of the dive to allow more wiggleability after I drop my deco bottles. I can plug my 40 in for deco depending on how much deco I need to do.
It makes for an incredibly streamlined setup and I'm not foot heavy with the unit on or foot light with it off.
The unit is neutral, but it isn't trim. The tank and reg are the heavy end.

Back
Top Bottom