storing tanks for winter..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-QC

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What is the procedure for storing a tank during winter??

Does it need to be full?

Also my visual check is due in August but we won't dive anymore this year, I won't bother go for doing it...I'll wait til spring.

Thanks

I typically place them in a nice warm parka for the winter :D

When storing for a long time period you want to store them either empty (25 bar or 500 psi) or full. The reason being that if they get exposed to a fire any pressure in between could have the potential for the tank to explode. (The cylinder becomes compromised due to heat but not the burst disc) I tend to store mine empty and upright (so moisture will accumulate at the bottom which is the thickest part of the cylinder).

From the PSI textbook written by Bill High

Extended Storage

Remove accessories and clean the exterior. Secure cylinders vertically in a cool dry place, away from fire danger. Reduce pressure to no more than 20 psi.

I generally store mine with about 100 psi in them. Not as much air to let out when its time to viz them or do another O2 cleaning for the next diving season.

You can send them to me. I'll take care of them. I'll even VIP them for you while they're here. :D

Seriously, it doesn't matter whether they have 500psi or 3000 psi. The burst disks will give if there is a fire long before the AL or steel will give. As for the VIP, you can leave that until your next dive season. No need to VIP it now.

Scuba-QC:
What is the procedure for storing a tank during winter??

During winter I usually cycle my tanks by emptying and filling them at least twice a month, usually washing them for 45-50 minutes in salt water in the process.

:D

Dive-aholic:
Seriously, it doesn't matter whether they have 500psi or 3000 psi. The burst disks will give if there is a fire long before the AL or steel will give. As for the VIP, you can leave that until your next dive season. No need to VIP it now.

Actually it does matter. As a PSI inspector, for extended periods I advocate storing both steel and aluminum cylinders "nearly" empty for the reasons stated in the following article.

Note: This is merely a portion of the interview, the whole interview may be found at:http://www.luxfercylinders.com/news/releases/19991028.shtml.

Regards,
Dennis

Aluminium Tanks - What Every Diver Should Know
An interview with Bill High, President of PSI Inc.

by Dave Moran

October 28, 1999

"DM: How long has PSI been involved with cylinder testing and investigations?

BH: I formed PSI, Inc. (initially called Professional Scuba Inspectors) in 1982, following three years of research. I had completed four years as NAUI's president and was looking for another way to serve the diving community. Our first seminar was conducted in January 1983. We have trained over 10,000 inspectors for military, government, hydrostatic retesting, dive and fire industries in North America, and at numerous international locations. We have 65 instructors in ten countries conducting nearly 200 seminars each year.

. . . .

Does storing a full cylinder for long periods - several weeks or months - have a detrimental effect on its structural strength?

There are several considerations when making this decision. In a clean dry cylinder, clean dry air will store quite nicely for long periods, certainly a year or more. Poorly filtered air containing various hydrocarbons or other contaminants could deteriorate in quality over weeks or months. The cylinder itself is designed for a sustained pressure load during its entire life. If moisture is left in the cylinder, then the increased oxygen in a full cylinder will contribute to more rapid corrosion that in turn could weaken the cylinder dramatically over a matter of months.

More importantly, internal corrosion activity will reduce the oxygen content of the air. In the USA we have two examples of oxygen depletion in steel cylinders (corrosion is more rapid in steel). Following three months of storage, a corroded cylinder contained only 15% oxygen, a near-deadly deficiency. Analysis of a dead diver's air supply in a heavily corroded steel cylinder revealed a deadly 6% oxygen content. The University of Rhode Island's study of cylinder internal corrosion reveals that under equal conditions of moisture in cylinders, aluminium cylinders fare much better, so air stored in aluminium cylinders may retain its quality longer.

There is one additional consideration for aluminium cylinders. Because of its low tolerance for heat, and where there is potential for the aluminium cylinder to be involved in a fire, there is merit in storing the cylinder either full or nearly empty (about 20 psig). A 3000 psig aluminium cylinder containing less than about 1500 psig is at risk of exploding in a fire. The metal will lose its strength before the heat causes a rise in internal pressure sufficient to activate the pressure relief device (burst disc).

. . . "

PS: I admit that AL cylinders can be stored full also . . . but do we want to possibly risk our local Firefighter's lives on a burst disc?

Why not just keep diving??

I guess it's pretty cold in Montreal in winter, unless you enjoy icediving.

Here in BC, winter is some of the best diving, so this is not an issue :wink:

You can store your tanks in British Columbia. We'll take care of them. :D

When I'm finished diving for the year, (usually November), I get them VIP'd and all my gear serviced as appropriate. That way when the spring rolls around and the shop is tied up doing everyone else's stuff I'm all set. If it takes them a week or two to get around to it in November, its no big deal to me. Since the VIP is good for a year, I'm all set through the entire diving season.

Back
Top Bottom