Storing gear when not in use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is it a bad idea to store my snorkel, fins, mask and booties in a large airtight plastic container with a lid (the type you might buy at Target)? OR is it better to store the gear somewhere it can be exposed to air?

Thanks.

That's sort of a double-edged sword. If you take good care of your gear, make sure everything is completely clean and COMPLETELY dry, then there shouldn't be a problem. However, many people put away their gear still wet, or even damp, thinking it is dry. In this situation, you're basically setting up a mildew and bacteria farm by sealing it in a dark, poorly ventilated container. The other side of this coin is where you actually store it. If you get some sort of container that is not airtight and store it in a basement, a garage, etc., it could get damp/moist, and there you go again.Both of these situations will only really affect your booties. The fins, mask, and snorkel aren't nearly as susceptible to the heat and moisture, but rubber and plastic can melt. I have also heard some horror stories about using gear that has been improperly stored for some time. Long story short, as long as everything is properly taken care of, your mask, snorkel, fins and booties should be fine.

What is the worst that can happen if the gear does develop mildew and bacteria? You mentioned "horror stories about using gear that has been improperly stored." What happened?

Thanks.

Gear should never be stored. Use it daily.

I've seen a Staph infection, and heard about a couple of ohters. I had a buddy that stored his gear in the garage. Something must have gotten spilled on his booties and mask, because his feet and the area where the mask seals broke out in a naaaaasty rash. I have heard about mystery rashes and sores from improperly stored gear. I just want to make sure that the things that touch all of my magnificent goodness(wetsuit, booties, mask, etc.) are clean....especially for something that goes in my mouth, ie. snorkel. As far as myself, I have my wetsuits hanging in the bathroom(the sink side, not the tioilet/shower side....don't want them to get funky), my thouroughly dried out fins, booties, gloves, hoods, etc. go into a nice big mesh travel bag, and my cleaned and dried regs and gauges go into a separate bag. (More of a space issue than anything) But, for the most part, until I build my drying rack, my gear hangs out on towels and hangers just long enough for me to justify to my girlfriend taking up all the space, before I hit the water again and start the whole process over again. I think she is resigned to it by now.....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom