Stopping Smoking.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griff..

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Firstly; I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this in, if it's not, Apologies.

secondly; some background on me.

My names James Griffin, I'm 18 and was born in Nottingham, England.
I've been diving since I was 8 and smoking since I was 14.

As soon as I turned 18 I jumped at the chance to become a Divemaster. After a season working as a Divemaster, I became an Instructor.

I'm currently living and working full time as an Instructor in Cyprus.

When I was younger, I hated smoking, loathed it. As I grew up a few "friends" peer pressured me into trying it, I did, and it just kinda stuck.

As of today (GMT +2.00)

11th May 2011 - 22.43

I am quiting smoking.

This is something I've been thinking of for a while, I realise it will be hard, I realise there will be times that I am tempted, but this is something I would like to do now, rather than 10 years down the line when it's a lot harder.

This decision is mainly to benefit my diving, live longer, dive longer. get fitter, use less air, etc etc. The benefits are endless, it makes me wonder why I even started.

I am completely committed to doing this, and I would like to use this thread to update you all on how its going and hopefully any other smokers can maybe try and quit too! who knows.

All support will be appreciated!

Any questions, just ask

James

Good on ya man! It will be a bit tough at first, but the trick it to figure out when you have your cravings and then find something to take your mind off it.

If you get through the 1st 3 days it is not bad. There will be times when you want one but for me it soon turned into not even wanting to be around it. It'll be 10 years in June. Also you must get it into your head that there is no trying to quit. You just quit. As Master Yoda said to Luke Skywalker - "there is no try, only do" or something like that.

Congratulations and keep at it! You're going to have some tough days, but 15 days out (and 15years out), you will feel wonderful and understand it was truly a momentous decision.

Exactly as Jim said..
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try young Jedi!
good luck and keep us posted!!

Scuba diving, as someone here proclaims without base, as a fearful method to make
you more self aware, and somehow more responsible for your actions, will kill you

Smoking makes the second half of your reduced lifespan, sh1te!

Very excellent.

With me it was the mind set. When I decided, I would take a couple of deep breaths and do a little zen thingy when I had the urge. I however was quitting cigars. Cigarettes was never hard to quit, but cigars, good ones, was. Good luck to you and remember the advantages of not smoking. They also say that sex is a great substitute for smoking. Try that.

Great plan. I quit sometime ago. It wasn't too hard for me for some reason, I guess it was just the right time to do it... but there are still times when I think that I would like to have another cigarette. I don't do it because I know from past experience that one turns into a pack then another pack and so on in a short time. It only takes a few days before you realize how much people that smoke reek of the smell. Then you think, wow, I used to smell like that too. It almost makes me nauseous now to smell stale cigarette smoke. Don't give up, don't give in. The cravings can be strong but they usually don't last too long and get much less intense in a pretty short time. If you can tough it out through those short cravings you will do fine.

Bravo! It is going to be a game of mindset but you seem determined and I wish you the best.

I would like to suggest the book "Psycho-Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz. It is a brilliant approach in transformation and the power of determination and it will be of tremendous help in your journey.

Wish you all the best and please keep us posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom