Suggestion Stop the eBay Links

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Quarrior

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have purchased and sold diving related items on this site and done so directly with other SBer's. It really bugs me to see a post for something for sale and then all I see is a link to an eBay auction, or a complete description followed by a link to an eBay auction.

I think anyone that wants to sell something through/via SB, should do so. I also think anyone that wants to sell something through/via eBay should do so as well.

However, please do not allow people to drum up business for their auctions via SB. If they want to sell something to SB members, then let them post something for sale to SB members. If they want to auction something off on eBay, then they need to post it there and leave us alone.

As for my suggestion, make it against board rules to post eBay links for items someone is selling. Further, delete any eBay links that people post in an effort to get bidders on their gear.

My .02 worth.

Brian

Morpheus:
Personally i dont see anything wrong with Ebay listings,whats wrong with possibly helping a fellow diver find gear? nothing.Perhaps we should stop posting links to LDS as well or other online sites like Leisure pro or Divers discount. we can buy gear at those places too. I have bought gear from Ebay and wouldnt be enjoying this fine sport if I hadnt.
Kind of agreeing with Brian here, but with a different spin. The ads you see on the SB header are there in case you want to click on them. You have a good idea what kind of stuff is there or you would be linked to if you click on them. However cloaking an ebay listing in a FS thread is a bit of an annoyance to deal with if you are looking for something and get your hopes up with a thread on here.

Rather than set up YET ANOTHER seperate forum, Pete, why don't you just make it illegal to post E-Bay links and see if people continue to do it? Rather than condoning activity, why not just say "No, that doesn't make sense" and see what happens?

It just seems that we've got 4,000 forums on here. No wonder it's tough on the moderators!

just another idea...if making another forum doesnt appeal to some, maybe it could be marked in the subject line if it is an actual FS or an E-Bay FS. That way, there wont be another forum added, and if you dont want to look at ebay links, you can just skip that thread.

I would prefer the not be allowed as a first option and a seperate forum as a second choice.

It jsut does not really makes sense to me. I think decostop has a good policy in that if something does not sell you can post an auction link after a week.

Try seperating them. Just as an experiment at least. I bet you don't get as many hits on the Ebay as you do SB sales. Every one knows how to find Ebay, but only SB members can see private sales from SB members. Good goobledy goo I hope that made sense 'cause I think I got confused.

We have a few tricks in the making, after those are "launched" we will see if this is still an issue.

Looking forward to it.

Tech Admin:
We have a few tricks in the making, after those are "launched" we will see if this is still an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom