Suggestion Stop the eBay Links

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Quarrior

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have purchased and sold diving related items on this site and done so directly with other SBer's. It really bugs me to see a post for something for sale and then all I see is a link to an eBay auction, or a complete description followed by a link to an eBay auction.

I think anyone that wants to sell something through/via SB, should do so. I also think anyone that wants to sell something through/via eBay should do so as well.

However, please do not allow people to drum up business for their auctions via SB. If they want to sell something to SB members, then let them post something for sale to SB members. If they want to auction something off on eBay, then they need to post it there and leave us alone.

As for my suggestion, make it against board rules to post eBay links for items someone is selling. Further, delete any eBay links that people post in an effort to get bidders on their gear.

My .02 worth.

Brian

Brian,

I understand your consternation. Really, I do. We opened things up quite a bit earlier this year by allowing commercial as well as non commercial entities on here. We will consider the E-Bay ban, but the increased load it would put on our volunteers mods does not seem to justify it. Perhaps you can give us some more reasons for cutting them off.

I agree, if you want to sell it here, list it here............

Just as a suggestion, make a seperate forum for ebay sales, and then a forum for SB sellers and buyers.

Now diverbob, that's a splendid idea. Anyone one else have a take on that? Would that be a good thing, or do you want to get rid of them altogether.

NetDoc:
Brian,

I understand your consternation. Really, I do. We opened things up quite a bit earlier this year by allowing commercial as well as non commercial entities on here. We will consider the E-Bay ban, but the increased load it would put on our volunteers mods does not seem to justify it. Perhaps you can give us some more reasons for cutting them off.
Here's another option, which DiverBob listed. Setup a separate forum for eBay deals. That way the mods won't have to chase them and we can ignore them at will.

Myself, I have purchased things from eBay and sold things there too. But, if I want to find something from a fellow SB member, I'll look on SB, not eBay. Same goes the other way.

I do not like the idea of a commercial entity, eBay, making money from a free entity, SB, unless it is publically stated up front there is a commercial deal being offered.

I think a seperate forum would be an excellent compromise.

Personally i dont see anything wrong with Ebay listings,whats wrong with possibly helping a fellow diver find gear? nothing.Perhaps we should stop posting links to LDS as well or other online sites like Leisure pro or Divers discount. we can buy gear at those places too. I have bought gear from Ebay and wouldnt be enjoying this fine sport if I hadnt.

It's not the eBay listing that I object to so much, it's that when I open a FS thread, I expect to see what is for sale and how much the seller wants for it. Not a link to eBay. If I want to shop eBay, I'll go there and search for what I am looking for.

I think the idea of a separate forum for eBay listings is an excellent one.

Morpheus:
Personally i dont see anything wrong with Ebay listings,whats wrong with possibly helping a fellow diver find gear? nothing.Perhaps we should stop posting links to LDS as well or other online sites like Leisure pro or Divers discount. we can buy gear at those places too. I have bought gear from Ebay and wouldnt be enjoying this fine sport if I hadnt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom