stonefish.....lessons!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my fish books scorpion fish are classified as poisonous and are extremely painful to encounter - the same as lionfish. Stonefish are classified as lethal. It sounds like she was very lucky. Well done!

jtoorish:
Terrific job!

I took rescue last month, best course I've taken and I think probably the most important in many ways.

The other thing about it is, in addition to saving a truly distressed and semi-panicked buddy, you also prevented yourself from becoming distressed or panicked.

Once again, Bravo Zulu

Jeff

Thanks...although I did not do anything really, but I agree with you, this course is really interesting, and it did help me in a way!!

Kim:
In my fish books scorpion fish are classified as poisonous and are extremely painful to encounter - the same as lionfish. Stonefish are classified as lethal. It sounds like she was very lucky. Well done!

She was really lucky, the fact that she as using a 5mm suit probably saved her life!

PADI definitely teaches you to drop to the bottom on your knees to perform certain skills. There are agencies who promote what MikeFerrara likes to call "No Bottom Diving". In a DIR-F class for example you learn many skills performed in mid-water. For those that have never tried it, have a buddy watch you do a mask R&R while maintaining your exact position in the water column with only inches if any movement. You'd be surprised the results. It takes practice but is a rewarding result once you have it down pat. You see in a cave environment, if you hit a stalagmite or stalactite and cause a silt up, you've created a cocktail for disaster. I have argued before that this is a lot to ask for beginning divers, and of course PADI plays into this with their whole marketing campaign - Go Diving Today ... that last word was not intended to be symbolic, but completely intentional, you just signed up and in a matter of "hours" you'll be breathing off scuba underwater, <insert deep sigh>.

We have those things everywhere out here , usually se at least one every dive (if im not looking ) Getting stuck by one doesnt sound like fun . Well at least on question of mine has been answered , looks like a wetsuit willnot protect you from them.

In areas with Stonefish, are there any procedures instructors follow prior to kneeling on the bottom?

lostplanetairman:
In areas with Stonefish, are there any procedures instructors follow prior to kneeling on the bottom?
In areas where there are stonefish my procedure would probably be - "Don't kneel on the bottom" - but I'm not an instructor. :D

lostplanetairman:
Easy for you and me but what about OW students?

The last class I taught did great!! By the 5th pool session they weren't touching the bottom at all. In Open water most did skills off of the bottom. 2 of the students just had there fin tips touching bottom. Their trim wasn't quite dialed in yet.

The students will try to emulate what they see their Instructors and DMs doing. My DMs and I stay off the bottom during the pool sessions, the students try to do the same.

Steele:
Why are new OW divers being taught to kneel on the bottom? Seems to me you have to correct it in later training.

On topic though: I'm glad she's recovering.

I've just finished my EFR Instructor.
Rescue Knowledge Reviews are finished. Need the scenarios/skills now.

Cause there is no other way...do you think they would be able to clear there masks or pivot, not kneeling on the ground...how many dives did you do...mmm....bewtween 50 and 100...see if you can do all these OWD skills floating 20 cm above the bottom..not ascending...not descending..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom