Stone crabs why didn't I think about that

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clovis

Reaction score
Looking at some old threads I came across one discussing catching Stone Crabs. I've lived in Naples all of my life and it never occurred to me to dive for them, duh. I probably shouldn't admit to that. Is anyone out there doing this, does anyone have any tips or spots they are willing to share? Sounds like a great excuse to dive.

I posted some techniques in the Port Charlotte thread yesterday. You need a license and make sure you don't get any out of season. I believe the season ends in 11 days.

Also make sure they're big enough. The fine is $250, PER CLAW. (I know someone who got nailed with several that were 1/8" under. Fortunately, he got off with court costs.)

I was in St. Pete's during stone crab season a couple years ago. Toured a couple LDS' and got the ins and outs on snapping off a claw without causing damage and then went looking for crabs.

We found that someone had rigged up a bait box marked by a styrofoam float tied to it, on the bottom was the little box baiting the crabs in with some food. That's the easiest crabbing I ever did!

I'm totally joking, even the crab rings were empty, we didn't see a one.

frogman_5:
Also make sure they're big enough. The fine is $250, PER CLAW. (I know someone who got nailed with several that were 1/8" under. Fortunately, he got off with court costs.)

Measuring them was part of the post in the other thread.

Stonies are good... Charlotte harbor is a good place for them. I didn't really see any in Boca this year, but I wasn't exactly in the best place to catch a view of the bottom past the ridge I was on.

Tell ya what, when one of those guys grabs on you better be prepared for pain. :)

Thank you all, I know about thier ability to pinch, I worked on a commerical crab boat as a kid. The danger is that they are so slow it's easy to become complacent about the possibilty of one catching you. Once one does you do not forget. I've seen them crush hard rock like it was chalk. I'm going to try some of the rock outcropings around Naples, Thanks again.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom