STOLEN SCUBA GEAR (stolen from a home on the North Shore, MA)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R2F...

Sorry for your loss...forget about it...your gear could be a couple doors down...or thousands of miles away by now...contact your insurance agent...and go shopping...Christmas came early...

Best...

Warren

Thank you :) it's not locating the gear & getting it back that I'm really interested in...it's proving this particular individual did it, and bringing him to justice. I'll go as far as I can without putting myself in harm's way. Once I've exhausted all reasonable avenues, I'll walk away & try to "forget" about it. If he stole from me, he's likely doing it to other people out there. Not scuba gear, but anything he can make a quick buck on to feed his habit. Whatever I can do to "blow up his spot"...without "blowing up" mine. That's my aim right now.

Thank you :) it's not locating the gear & getting it back that I'm really interested in...it's proving this particular individual did it, and bringing him to justice. I'll go as far as I can without putting myself in harm's way. Once I've exhausted all reasonable avenues, I'll walk away & try to "forget" about it. If he stole from me, he's likely doing it to other people out there. Not scuba gear, but anything he can make a quick buck on to feed his habit. Whatever I can do to "blow up his spot"...without "blowing up" mine. That's my aim right now.

Understand...having said that...remember...if you go looking for trouble...you may find it...

It's only scuba gear...nothing that can't be replaced with the click of a mouse...or the opening of a shop door...

Leave investigation/apprehension/arrest/prosecution to the authorities...

The best ''forget it'' remedy...is a cheque from your insurance provider...you've already stated...getting the gear back is not what you're interested in...

Nothing is worth jeopardizing your safety during a heated confrontation...walk away...

I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time trolling local pawn and second hand shops or giving the shop operators any personal information...besides...you would need serial numbers...complete inventory lists...photos of everything...if it is found...

Call your insurance provider...if it's not insured...which I suspect...lesson learned...

W...

Understand...having said that...remember...if you go looking for trouble...you may find it...

It's only scuba gear...nothing that can't be replaced with the click of a mouse...or the opening of a shop door...

Leave investigation/apprehension/arrest/prosecution to the authorities...

The best ''forget it'' remedy...is a cheque from your insurance provider...you've already stated...getting the gear back is not what you're interested in...

Nothing is worth jeopardizing your safety during a heated confrontation...walk away...

I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time trolling local pawn and second hand shops...besides...you would need serial numbers...complete inventory lists...photos of everything...if it is found...

Call your insurance provider...if it's not insured...which I suspect...lesson learned...

W...
You know what, you're absolutely right. I overestimated the character of the thief, so I could very well underestimate his level of evil (or desperation). Thank you for that bit of advice. Like many out there, my anger at being wronged has occasionally gotten me a lot more than I bargained for. Besides...I'm a bargain shopper & got good deals on most of that gear...which also got plenty of use over the years. Cheers....and my deceased parents thank you from heaven for trying to keep me safe :clearmask:

R2F...

Sorry for your loss...forget about it...your gear could be a couple doors down...or thousands of miles away by now...contact your insurance agent...and go shopping...Christmas came early...

Best...

Warren
Wonder if it's worth the deductable.

Really makes me sad to read this. It’s a reminder about who we let in our homes. I think I’ll be here for that service call I just scheduled.

So, someone just today told me to lock up my box for my flight on Saturday. Another person told me that TSA will cut off the lock if they can't get it to open. Lock it up? Pfft! I'll gladly pay my $1000 All Perils Deductible on my Home Owner's Insurance policy to get all brand new gear.

So, they steal my bag with my $9500 rebreather, $1200 perdix AI, two $500 flash lights, the $500 camera, 6 $500 regulators, etc etc etc that is more than 5 years old, and for the low low price of $1000 I get to replace my 5 year old gear with $15,000 worth brand new current gear? Deal!

Did the OP call her insurance company yet?

W...

I wonder if the OP owns a home. If she owns a home in the US, it's pretty likely it's insured.

I wonder if the OP owns a home. If she owns a home in the US, it's pretty likely it's insured.

SL...

One would assume...but having said that...one should never assume...

W...

So, someone just today told me to lock up my box for my flight on Saturday. Another person told me that TSA will cut off the lock if they can't get it to open. Lock it up? Pfft! I'll gladly pay my $1000 All Perils Deductible on my Home Owner's Insurance policy to get all brand new gear.

So, they steal my bag with my $9500 rebreather, $1200 perdix AI, two $500 flash lights, the $500 camera, 6 $500 regulators, etc etc etc that is more than 5 years old, and for the low low price of $1000 I get to replace my 5 year old gear with $15,000 worth brand new current gear? Deal!

Did the OP call her insurance company yet?

It's my understanding that homeowners insurance companies will frequently drop you after you make a claim. It seems unfair, but I have heard of that happening. I had trouble getting any insurance on my house when I bought it due to its age (1929) and my distance from a fire hydrant; the fact that I own a Doberman excludes some companies as well. I'd be reluctant to make a claim over gear without verifying with my agent that I wouldn't then find my policy cancelled in a few months. Especially since I had several companies (including AAA, my longtime auto insurance and renter's insurance provider) decline to offer coverage to begin with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom