Stinging or Biting things in PG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rexman24

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What kind of(if any) stingy or bitey things are in PG, Anilao, Verde island area in Mid-May?

Like but not limited to jellys, sea wasps, sea lice, MoW, diatomes, fire coral, triggerfish, stonefish, lionfish, etc. etc.

rexman24:
What kind of(if any) stingy or bitey things are in PG, Anilao, Verde island area in Mid-May?

Like but not limited to jellys, sea wasps, sea lice, MoW, diatomes, fire coral, triggerfish, stonefish, lionfish, etc. etc.

Why do I have a feeling this thread is going to end up talking about White Beach?!

Triggers - yes, they already started; jellies - yes, depends on your sensitivity; fire coral -yes; yes; yes; yes; if there's a critter in the ocean that bites, stings, or otherwise tries to defend itself then there's a good bet it's here in the Verde Passage area. :D

so for defending yourself:
triggers-mainly teritorrial correct? just give them some space?

jellies-are they mainly on the surface? do you use the blow a hole with your reg on ascent method? does anyone use seasafe? does it work?
what else? no bear skin?

I know for fire coral just to avoid touching things which we all should be doing anyway.

Thought you would take the usual precautions with the nasties in Sabang/PG. A friend of mine went in a shortie for his first dive in the cold (25C) water last week. BIG mistake. Ended up with welts all over his arms which only went away with vinegar. I didn't shave all weekend and felt all these tingling blood suckers all over my chin.

And I'm pretty sure I didn't get these from the naughty boys in White Beach or the mosquitos at the new Broadway Disco.

Traminer:
I didn't shave all weekend and felt all these tingling blood suckers all over my chin.

And I'm pretty sure I didn't get these from the naughty boys in White Beach or the mosquitos at the new Broadway Disco.

:11: :confused: so how was the experience? :l:

I am relatively new to diving(23 dives) and have never dove much with nasties so you might have to explain things that you experienced divers take as normal precautions to me!

1. Wear a suit and a hood(keeps you warm too).
2. If something starts itching purge your reg to get the nasty of your skin - DO NOT SCRATCH, and Do not use fresh water to rinse after the dive.
3. and yes - don't touch anything :)

Lets see... precautions to take:

(a) Wear a full 3/2 wetsuit that firmly covers all of your appendages.

(b) If cold sensitive, consider a hood. It could stop all your brains from leaking out and a funky piranha/mickey mouse hood could makes you a lot more visible to your DMs/buddies.

(c) Don't touch ANYTHING. That includes anemonies, coral, fishies, manta rays, mimic octopus and especially sharks. PG water is too warm for gloves but be cautious around descent ropes and the strange structures in Sabang wrecks or at the Tropicana.

(d) Remember jellyfish tentacles remain stinging even after being severed from the jelly. I suspect that was what got my face scarred during that dive. Not the ensuing acid attack from a jealous woman at the Point.

(e) Don't rest/sit/mediate on the sand. Without checking to see if there is someone else there first. My buddy saved me from a potential Steve Irwin incident when I was settling down to avoid currents and really pissed off a blue spotted ray snoozing on the seabed next to the Dona Marilyn wreck. Needless to say, look carefully before you lie down on it/her/him.

(f) If stung, seek immediate assistance. Coral cuts are very nasty esp fire coral.
A good DM will be able to advise if you should wash the wound with vinegar(for jellyfish) or pee pee (for stingray). Found a whole series of medical articles to read up for diving-related injuries. There is a separate section of communicable diseases that may be contracted in Centrum in Sabang or White Beach.

Thanks guys for all the info, sometimes you have to spoon feed the newbies. I have a full body lyrca suit, will that be enough to stop the stingies?

can u buy a hood in PG?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom