Sting/Bite Help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've just returned from the South Pacific and was either stung or bitten by something! I was snorkleing off a small island as the water was fairly shallow. The wound area is very small, but my ankle and foot area are swollen about 4 times their normal size, and the entire area from the knee down is numb, and inflamed. A couple of muscles in my leg cramped shortly after I felt the sting. The docs have no clue. Could be that we are in the desert! If anyone can assist I would greatly appreciate it! I'm getting conflicting information from the docs and really just want to know what I'm dealing with. Thanks for any guidance or assistance!

Sounds to me like a "Lionfish". I can't think of any other reason for something like that from what I understood from your story.

Try to be more specific:

Did it happen when you walked on a reef or when you swam?
Did you feel it or just found out when you got out of the water?

It could be a lot of things from your story. My guess about the lion fish, is best if you hovered above a reef, prety close to it. These fish usualy back off when a human gets closer, and turn their back spines towards the "threat". If you didn't notice it you might have touched the spines with your foot. The spine has a powerfull poisen, that may couse great pain, but fortunately, not leathal.

It could be also everything from Stonefish to a poisenous urchin, if it happened becouse you steped on it. please try to give some more specs.

P.S

I notice it your first message, so, welcome aboard!

And I really hope you get ok prety soon.

Hi Liquid! Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply. Could have been while I was swimming or walking, as the water was extremely shallow. All of the items you mentioned were present in the water! I have a high tolerance for pain, so it stung, but I shrugged it off until the cramping in my leg started. So, I did feel the sting, looked around saw nothing, then cramped pretty immediately. Then I thought it might have been something venemous. I hovered over a number of reefs that did indeed have stone fish, sea urchins and lion fish. I thought I avoided them, but apparently something got me! I also saw needle fish, puffer fish, you name it, including 2 types of eels. There were also Picasso Triggerfish on the attack, for some reason. We figured maybe it was mating season. When I got out of the water, I noticed 3 small blister type wounds that were red and swollen right next to my ankle, about 2 inches above where my fins ride. Within 10 minutes the swelling took affect. It has gotten progressively worse since then. Wonder if I should just keep up the Ibuprofen and Benadryl? Is there a chance that something is imbedded?

Thanks again!

Hi Denise,

You mentioned that none of the doctors you have consulted have been unable to help you with a diagnosis. How long have this condition persisted and how many docs have you been to?

At this point, I would say you might want to contact DAN and ask for a referal to a Diving Physician in your area.

I am not a doctor myself, but I would imagine that if you are numb all the way to your knee, there is a good chance of some nerve damage that could be permanent if not properly treated, as well as possible tissue and vascular damage from the severe swelling.

I myself would definitely not be satisfied with just taking ID and Benadryl; it sounds like you have a somewhat serious issue here and I certainly would keep trying every possible resource I could think of (which is probaby why you posted here in the first place). Call DAN and get a referral. The results can't be any worse than what you have already heard from the docs you've already seen, and maybe they will be able to put you in touch with someone who can help.

Good luck!

P.S. Welcome to Scuba Board.

Hi LadyDiver!

The sting occured on Tuesday. I was one of the hundreds of Renaissance passengers trying to get home since then. I've seen 2 docs both with the same advice, but one suggested that we look further in case anything is imbedded. I will contact Dan to see if he can recommend someone in my area. These are just GP who I am sure are not accustomed to any water or sting problems. The swelling has gone down, just this afternoon, so I'm only about 2 times the size I normally am!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to be here! It's been far too long since I scuba'd or snorkeled! It was great to get back into it, so much so I am once again hooked! If only I could get my hubby to get certified I'd have a partner in my passion for underwater!

Thank you for your response!

Hi again Ladydiver!

The link for DAN does not work. Can you assist further?

Thank you!

Hope you are doing better. Pls. post DAN's info to you. We also do tropical diving and are very interested in what you find out. Get well, and see you under the sea.

Hi again!

From what you say it sounds to me like "Lion Fish", but it's just my opinion. I dont think it was a Stone fish, becouse than chances are that it was on the bottom of your feet, very painfull on the spot and your overall condition a lot worse. I also don't belive it's a bite wound, becouse though these type of wounds can get infected it is RARE to couse so much trouble, so it elminates the eels and triggerfish.

From my experience with lion fish, aspecialy if your dive was in the late afternoon, you might have accidentaly rubbed against one while kicking your fin. The spines are very sharp, and at first you wouldn't feel much beyond a sting. Later it swallows and gets worse.

As general, in these cases, if you don't know what coused the problem, it is very hard to impossible for the doctors to decide what coused it, Kinda like snake-bites, where it's alwais adviseable to bring the snake. However, unlike snake-bites, the treatment for several of these maladies is quite the same, so if you'r still alive :wink: it's probobly ok.

P.S-
Please update us on your situation, and advice you recive from DAN.

And ofcourse- get better!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom