Stillhouse report - 1-28-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willie

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I think that my fingers will work well enough to write a trip report. My head is still a bit chilled though.

Loosebits, fixxervi6 and I went out to Stillhouse today. It was their first trip there and the plan was to show them the remains of the water plant. When we first started planning this trip, I am pretty sure the forecast was for 55 df weather. It turned out to be 46 df with winds from the north 10-15 with occasional gusts to 20.

Fortunately for the other two, I was the only one in a wetsuit.

We made our descent at 1:43 pm and started south. Temp was 49 df throughout the dive (my coldest dive yet) and my gear showed a max depth of 31' and dive time of 31 mins.

This was the worst vis I have ever had on a dive, and that includes the trip to Canyon Lake with Shaggie in January 06. I have had times when the vis was this bad, but in those cases you could find something better by changing depth. I estimate that it was 1' with occasional up to 3'. I thought it was quite cloudy also. Maybe my mask was fogged or my eyeballs.

I never found any landmarks that would help me find the water plant and after about 22 mins, I was getting cold and we turned the dive. Right after that I found a landmark that I knew put us pretty close to the water plant, but I had no cold tolerance left so we will have to see that another day.

Somewhere after turning the dive we got separated from Rick. After looking a bit we surfaced to find him not far away beside his deployed lift bag.

About the only thing interesting we saw was what I thought was an old stone well. In the truck on the way back, the others informed me it was a large tire of some sort. I told you the vis was bad.

I towed a dive flag for the first time on this dive. I was trying a technique that I have been wanting to use. I had my GPS in an otter box attached to the float and planned to use it to see where we had been. Back at the truck my first thought was to get the GPS and see what it looked like. The good news is it was dry, the bad news is -- I had forgot to turn it on.

Thanks, loosebits & fixxervi6. It was good to get wet, even if the conditions werent great. I am looking forward to diving with you guys next time.

Willie

Ouch. I was thinking of trying it next W/E but with vis that bad I think I'll wait till it gets warmer. Oops, I mean clearer. Sounds like you did not go far enough east. The plant should be around 43 ft now.

Thanks for the trip report....hey a dive is a dive!!

awap:
Sounds like you did not go far enough east. The plant should be around 43 ft now.
If I had known the vis was going to be so bad, I would have gone down the channel and then over like you and I did last time. But I had been out there by taking a 180 to the platform and then following the south line to the larger boat and then going a bit SE from there. That was what I attempted to do.

I was wishing I had 3 or 4 of your warmers today.

Willie

From the large boat, a 135 should take you to the foundation or a bit north of it where you will run into the strings (or shortly deeper water). If you miss to the south, there are no features that I have found and the dropoff is further east and more gradual. March may be a good time to try again. 49 on your computer is probably 45 on mine. I only have 5 heating pads.

yea it was one of those, where is the bottom at, then you collide with it, oh there it is, I was following loosebits so close he knew I was behind him from the kicks I got to the chest from time to time.

When I got up beside loosebits with my head at his waste I could see the very tips of Willies fins, so I'd put that at around 3 feet of vis, at times all I could make out was the back of loosebits tanks, and as for that tire/well thing I was around 2 feet away from it and it took me a while to figure out what it was, if I did, maybe it was a well, I think my eyes were fogged up too, or maybe it was just the crap in the water.

We managed to stay together through most of the dive until we ran into line mid water, I moved a couple of feet in the wrong direction and well, 2 foot vis 4 feet away I'm soloin :)

My fingers were so cold I could't get my bag out, when I did it was all stiff I had a hard time getting it open between not being able to feel it and it being stiff, when I went and inflated it my reg went into free flow even when I put it back in my mouth (brrr it was cold) got that under control and met the guys at the surface.

Willie my hat is off to you man I don't know how you stood up to those temps.

This is going down as one of the worst vis dives I've ever had, I've seen worse, but not by much and not many times.

Water is water tho.

Willie, next time will be in FL man, clear water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom