Stillhouse 9/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tpolson88

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone wanna dive stillhouse on saturday 9/6 around 10ish???
Have boat and will bring it to get to are not to many ppl dive if you would like
Taylor

Wow Taylor !
Thanks for the generous offer. Unfortunately, I won't be doing any diving on Saturday.
Stupid homeowner responsibilities ! ! !

Keith & I were going to explore some deeper area (70 ft and 65 deg) but if you don't find anyone, let me know. We can stay shallow and warm.

I appreciate it awap. I am looking to invest in a wet suit so i might be able to go deep. Would a 5 mil be enough?

Whoa! Taylor!
You don't own a wet suit yet? Dude, you gotta fix that pronto ! ! !
You can make a 5 mm wet suit work down into the low 60s. I do it on occasion if I am not in the mood to deal with anything heavier.

I appreciate it awap. I am looking to invest in a wet suit so i might be able to go deep. Would a 5 mil be enough?

A good 5mm suit is great for CenTX diving. Add a hooded vest and you can dive all winter in our lakes. Also good for the San Marcos and the Comal. 7mm is overkill and unnecessarily buoyant and 3mm just is not enough protection unless you limit depth and season..

Alright thats what im gonna get. i kinda thought a 5 would be the way to go since i dont really get cold that easy. Richerso its funny i have all my own gear including tanks but still not suit. I dove all summer in just swimming trunks but im not stopping for the winter so looks like ill break down and buy the suit. Awap or anyone else where is the best place around killeen(or close) to get a suit? I think c and j has them in stock does anyone know if their prices are about right?

I don't know any specifics about the Killeen area. Mostly, prices for wet suits should be retail $150 - $200. If you find anything outside that price range, that's a red flag. Buyer beware.

I will use my 5 mm down into the low 60s temp. You can easily make a 5 mm work into the upper 70s temp. I think I have even used my 5 mm into 82F water. Having said that, this is my usual suit profile:

82F and above: I use a 3 mm even in the caribbean
78 - 82F: Kind of a nebulous region. Maybe a 5 mm. Maybe a 3 mm.
65F - 78F: I use a 5 mm wet suit
60 - 65F: I might use a 5 mm wet suit. Depends upon my mood.
65F and less: I use a dry suit but that's not an option for everyone.

I suspect you could be big boy and use a 5 mm down to about 58F or 60F. Otherwise, I would be a big boy and use a 7 mm down to about 46F. Anything lower than that and you are crazy unless you are diving dry.

in water above 75 i would die in a wetsuit. lol I didnt really get cold staying at 73 for 15 minutes in swimming trunks only so i think the 5 will work for me. I think c and j had them for about 150 so looks lik i will go pay them a visit in the am.

Cool deal! Sounds good!
btw, the real test of a wet suit is: are you cold after 60 minutes?

Don't let me interrupt your current thought process. Just file away for a future "critical" look at wet suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom