Still feeling effects of aspiration from morning training.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I just finished my classes today in the pool and am really enjoying diving so far. But I was hoping I could get some advice with recovering from an aspiration incident in class today.

We were working on buddy dives and my regulator was accidentally knocked free from my mouth in mid-inhale of a large breath, and I took in a small amount of water. I panicked for only an instant before I trusted in the gear and jammed the regulator back in my mouth and coughed out the water and recovered my breath. We finished the exercise and returned to the surface (2 minutes after incident).

I continued to cough mildly to moderately for the next 15 minutes, but was fine to return to diving afterward. For the next few hours, I had to occasionally clear my throat, but nothing serious. I also felt a bit light-headed -- almost high; but I felt the same yesterday at bed time and suspected it was from some residual water in my ears. We're also not doing any deep dives (10ft), so I knew it wasn't something like DCS.

About four hours ago, however, I started coughing roughly again and produced some thick mucus. I didn't catch the color of it before it was disposed of. Since then I have had a sensation of "something in my throat" and frequently have had to cough very hard, but unable to produce anything. My head is now throbbing (from coughing), still a bit light-headed and my chest is sore.

I suspect this might be a delayed reaction to the chlorine (which was very high in this pool). But I also worried about developing bronchitis from coughing to hard.

I've been drinking lots of water, taken mucinex, hot tea, rest, and vaporizer in case of dry air reaction.

Is this delayed reaction normal? Should I have done, or do something differently? Is there something else going on here I should be made aware of? Is this normal? I can't remember the last time I may have aspirated while swimming, and not sure if this would be classified as a "normal reaction" for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

<---I am not a medical professional. But I have encountered this problem.

First off, if you actually got a lung full of water, like really got a lung full of water- you want to go see a doctor. Do a google search on secondary drowning. If you really got water into your lungs, your body will react by "washing" your lungs with fluid and that can be very bad. This is quite unlikely in your case, but it's worth mentioning and you should learn about this effect.

Back to reality. I can tell you is that your lungs and bronchi do not like being infiltrated with water. When this happens you will cough and sputter. It will take hours for the effect to clear.

Take a few minutes each hour for the rest of the day to take five deep belly breaths. These deep breaths will help you clear out your reaction to a water insult. That's why we are doing this to manage your bodies process of rebuilding a protective mucus coating on your sensitive bits.

Deep breathing and a day of time will sort it out. Otherwise see a doctor.

Dive safe!

---------- Post added January 6th, 2013 at 08:30 PM ----------

Oh- congrats on finishing your pool sessions!

Hello Everyone!

I just finished my classes today in the pool and am really enjoying diving so far. But I was hoping I could get some advice with recovering from an aspiration incident in class today.

We were working on buddy dives and my regulator was accidentally knocked free from my mouth in mid-inhale of a large breath, and I took in a small amount of water. I panicked for only an instant before I trusted in the gear and jammed the regulator back in my mouth and coughed out the water and recovered my breath. We finished the exercise and returned to the surface (2 minutes after incident).

I continued to cough mildly to moderately for the next 15 minutes, but was fine to return to diving afterward. For the next few hours, I had to occasionally clear my throat, but nothing serious. I also felt a bit light-headed -- almost high; but I felt the same yesterday at bed time and suspected it was from some residual water in my ears. We're also not doing any deep dives (10ft), so I knew it wasn't something like DCS.

About four hours ago, however, I started coughing roughly again and produced some thick mucus. I didn't catch the color of it before it was disposed of. Since then I have had a sensation of "something in my throat" and frequently have had to cough very hard, but unable to produce anything. My head is now throbbing (from coughing), still a bit light-headed and my chest is sore.

I suspect this might be a delayed reaction to the chlorine (which was very high in this pool). But I also worried about developing bronchitis from coughing to hard.

I've been drinking lots of water, taken mucinex, hot tea, rest, and vaporizer in case of dry air reaction.

Is this delayed reaction normal? Should I have done, or do something differently? Is there something else going on here I should be made aware of? Is this normal? I can't remember the last time I may have aspirated while swimming, and not sure if this would be classified as a "normal reaction" for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't wait go see the doc.

Not a medical doctor, but if you're having an issue with coughing continously and it isn't resolving itself by now you should see a doctor.

Whether the amount of water you inhaled is enough to create the possibility of a secondary drowning or not, you are still having issues with a persistent cough which is getting worse in the sense that
a) you've developed thick mucous
b) you've developed a headache due to the cough
c) your respiratory tract is now getting sore due to the cough and projectile mucous

You're reacting to the water you inhaled, that much is obvious, and it has progressed to now develop other symptoms. It be best to talk to a doctor and get some solid medical advise on whether you should undergo a treatment of any sort.

If you have to wait for an appointment then you can at least call DAN for some medical advise as well (this is in conjunction to a doctor visit)
You do not need to be a member to get this free advise:
DAN Medical Hotline:
919-684-2948

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/

Upon first reading, I questioned whether your letter was for real. Why? You seem to have grossly overreacted to what is described as a minor incident. While diving is the most amazing endeavor, it does require a certain level of fortitude and willpower. It is not a sport for everyone.
However, if your letter is legit I will say that what you describe makes me want to consider the quality of, or lack of, the air in your tank. Not chlorine, not aspiration. Compressed air can be extremely dry, especially right after a filter change. Most everything you describe could be attributed to very dry air. Tainted air will give you a pounding headache.
My suggestion would be to see if there is a corellation of your symptoms to your lessons. If there is, survey your classmates for any similiar symptoms, and/or voice your concerns to the instructor.
Be safe and good luck.

I suspect you are coming down with a cold.

Although there is an entity called salt water aspiration syndrome, it is the result of aspiration of fine saltwater spray over a period of time, and not a single choking episode in a swimming pool. You can develop aspiration pneumonitis, but it usually requires aspiration of a significant amount of volume to do it, or aspiration of very contaminated material (like vomit). Given the episode you described, and the fact that your coughing subsided for a period of time, I'd be much more suspicious that your current symptoms are not a result of your pool session.

If you wake up in the morning with a stuffy head and a clearcut upper respiratory infection, you have your answer.

BTW, I do not think your symptoms merit a trip to emergency care, unless you start to get short of breath or spike a significant fever.

Thank you for the responses everyone. I've actually developed a fever since I posted and think the aspiration was only a coincidence to an oncoming bug.

Sorry for any trouble.

Upon first reading, I questioned whether your letter was for real. Why? You seem to have grossly overreacted to what is described as a minor incident. While diving is the most amazing endeavor, it does require a certain level of fortitude and willpower.

How did I grossly overreact? I was shocked to suddenly inhale water, but I maintained my calm and did what I was trained to do.

driving 60 miles to the nearest hyperbaric chamber in the middle of the night would have been over reacting. You did the logical thing, was to seek out advice. Never let anyone on SCUBA Board give you a hard time about asking a question. This section of the board is specifically for people like you to ask questions like this one.
:wink:

Thank you again, everyone. I was told this community was a good resource if I had any questions or concerns. Glad to see that's the case.

And as an update, both my husband and I are sick as dogs today. Looks like we caught the flu despite our flu shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom