Still confused - undersuits Thinsulate vs Flectalon

Advantages - disadvantages DUI Thinsulate / ND Flectalon

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost almost almost bought a Flectalon suit based on some things I've read. If I could have tried one on I would have bought based on fit.

My next undersuit may well be a Flectalon.

Right now I'm diving a Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate Extreme.

Thanks Tassie,

I read that the suit tends to be cold in the wrists area because it has a fabric not to allow cuff wrists to stop venting. Do you share the same experience?

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0801divertests.htm#nd

Tassie_Rohan:
I use a DR flectalon 100 suit in water ranging from 8 to 16 C and love it - its one of the best investments in diving gear I've made. Combined with thermals underneath its kept me warm even when partially flooding the suit. It holds its loft and prevents any pinching from suit squeeze. For water below 8 I just add a layer underneath. It fits fine. Stretches OK. All air-filled undergarments in a drysuit will be buoyant at any depth.

Cheers,
Rohan.

nunomix:
Thanks for the tip. The undersuit looks very very thin. Is it warm enough to use only that?

As per PM, it's certainly warm enough in moderate waters (12-16 degC) that I normall dive in. I'll be able to give you a better answer for colder water after Easter - I'll probably end up wearing a merino thermal layer as well for the 8 degC I'm expecting down south.

If you are in Europe (EU?) then you should be able to get the garments direct from the manufacturer (they are in the UK).

nunomix:
Thanks Tassie,

I read that the suit tends to be cold in the wrists area because it has a fabric not to allow cuff wrists to stop venting. Do you share the same experience?

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0801divertests.htm#nd

Nope - the flect suit I have has normal cuffs - and I've never heard of one with this mesh thingy to aid air flow into wrist dumps. So it appears you can get several types of flect undersuit, depending on if you have wrist or shoulder exhust valves. Without the mesh thingy my fore-arms are toasty warm: just get one without it, unless your suit has a wrist mounted exhust.

I can't vouch for the other suits - I sure they are good as well, but everyone I know who has a flect undersuit (sample n=3) loves them. They rock.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Back
Top Bottom