Still confused - undersuits Thinsulate vs Flectalon

Advantages - disadvantages DUI Thinsulate / ND Flectalon

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nunomix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I am about to buy my drysuit (DUI TLS350 Explorer) and undersuit but I am still struggling with the choice of the right undersuit, specifically between DUI Thinsulate 200 or Northern Diver Flectalon 200. And there is still the DUI Liteloft, which I still didnt hear anything about it.

I will mainly dive in waters rounding 8-10 degrees Celsius, as well as warmer water (around 15-20 degrees Celsius).

From DUI Thinsulate I read good things like not being bulky and not changing buoyancy in depth. I also heard some people saying that it does not stretch at all. About being warm, I dont know anymore if it is warm or not. And also not sure whether it insulates when wet.

From ND Flectalon, I read that it is light and warm. What about buoyancy at depth? And what about stretching and water insultation when wet?

About the DUI Liteloft, I do not have any info.

Any help will be highly appreciated. thanks once again.

I've recently ditched my thinsulate undersuit for some fleece undergarments made by Fourth Element (http://www.fourthelement.com/nz/diving.htm).

I've dropped 2kgs off my weight as it has much better bouyancy characteristics, and I'm warmer. Even on O/W training dives where I'm mostly hovering in one place I no longer get cold. Water her is about 13 degC at the moment.

I can't rave enough about how good this stuff is. I got mine through the NZ distributor, but the actual manufacturer is based in the UK and they have an online shop (http://www.fourthelement.com).

Have you looked into the Diving Concepts TPS Stretch. I don't use this undergarment, but I've heard some good things about it. Thinsulate, windproof, and stretchy. I haven't seen it on their website recently, but it used to be on there, so you might have to search here or contact them directly.

I second the DC 200 weight TPS Thinsulate Extreme. I own the "standard" (non-stretchy) version. IMO the "stretch" version is a waste of money unless you don't fit the "standard" version. The standard version has stretch arms and a stretch waist panel. The material is quilted with a fleece liner. Most DUI thinsulate undersuits that I've seen (that have any serious use on them), tend to have the thinsulate gravitate down to the lower legs as it loosens up. With the DC's quilted material that won't happen. Good luck with your purchase.

Yes. I also heard good things about that undersuit. The problem is that Diving Concepts does not distribute in Europe. So this undersuit is not an option for me :/

do it easy:
Have you looked into the Diving Concepts TPS Stretch. I don't use this undergarment, but I've heard some good things about it. Thinsulate, windproof, and stretchy. I haven't seen it on their website recently, but it used to be on there, so you might have to search here or contact them directly.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the tip. The undersuit looks very very thin. Is it warm enough to use only that?

Regards,

AndyNZ:
I've recently ditched my thinsulate undersuit for some fleece undergarments made by Fourth Element (http://www.fourthelement.com/nz/diving.htm).

I've dropped 2kgs off my weight as it has much better bouyancy characteristics, and I'm warmer. Even on O/W training dives where I'm mostly hovering in one place I no longer get cold. Water her is about 13 degC at the moment.

I can't rave enough about how good this stuff is. I got mine through the NZ distributor, but the actual manufacturer is based in the UK and they have an online shop (http://www.fourthelement.com).

I understand that Weezle is a good undersuit with regard to warmth and being light. But what do you say about the problem of being sucked by the dump valve and not letting the air get out of the suit?

From what I have been reading it is a great suit apart from that but I think that is quite a big issue.

BigJetDriver69:
Do the right thing! Become a Weezle today!!

www.weezle.co.uk

Nuno,

I just talked to the "Weezles" themselves (Chris and Linda) at DEMA. They said that some older Apeks dump valves had a problem with the backing plate. It caused problems with more than just the Weezle suits. Apeks has since changed the design.

DUI, for instance, has gone to the new backing plate exclusively. They have changed both of mine.

I use a DR flectalon 100 suit in water ranging from 8 to 16 C and love it - its one of the best investments in diving gear I've made. Combined with thermals underneath its kept me warm even when partially flooding the suit. It holds its loft and prevents any pinching from suit squeeze. For water below 8 I just add a layer underneath. It fits fine. Stretches OK. All air-filled undergarments in a drysuit will be buoyant at any depth.

Cheers,
Rohan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom