Still chilly using the Thermal Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Add a thermal ski base layer.

My first drysuit dive ever today: 30F water, 21F air, 40 minutes. I wore a Thermal Fusion with a lightweight wicking layer (Patagonia Capilene 2). We quit when my buddy's hands got too cold. My fingers (in 7mm three-finger mitts) and feet (two pair of socks, wetsuit boots) were cold, but not too cold to continue. Head (5mm wetsuit hood + drysuit hood) and body were very comfortable.

Myself i wear a pair of 3mm neoprene socks next to my skin and a set of wool hiking socks for my feet in my Fusion and it keeps my feet nice and toasty.

I did a dive in 39 degree water last friday night and after 50 minutes I was pretty chilled.

I did a dive a couple of weeks ago in 42 degree water and was fine for an hour, my predive routine was the same both dives I just think the extra 3 degrees just through me over the edge. I was hoping other cold water divers could post what there thermal protection is and what there cold water tolerance is.

4 degrees (I think) is a big temp swing. Also, I've noted that getting enough sleep and rest really affect me. As does suiting up in the warm, vs. the cold and whipping wind. On my second dive I usually wear a thin polar fleece vest under my normal drysuit gear to give me a little extra comfort. During the SI - I try to get some quality protein and some carbs.

I've been cycling lately in the freezing cold and I can tell that at the end of the ride that my core has been affected by NE weather. I can't wait till summer.

X

I did a dive at the same site yesterday and changed two things. I wore my TF in the car ride to the site and used four extra pounds so I could keep some extra air in the suit. We did 62 min and the water temp was still at 39 degrees and I was much more comfortable. I wont say I was warm because warm to me is sitting in front of my wood stove with the temp in the room in the high 70's. So I would say the changes made a noticeable difference, I think this is about all you can as for in water this cold without going to heated undergarments.

Glad you were warmer. There are some additional things you can do to stay warmer. If someone around pumps argon - it does help vs. straight air. Dry hood, dry gloves and a rebreather are typically my next choices when it gets nasty and I have to do a job. The dry hood I use is built into the vulcanized drysuit (Gates) I use and it's nice and toasty. I do not use electrics as a good friend had a nasty fire in his unit several years ago.

I do not use electrics as a good friend had a nasty fire in his unit several years ago.

Now I thought I had some crappy dives. Does it make me a bad person if I laughed at that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom