Still chilly using the Thermal Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did a dive in 39 degree water last friday night and after 50 minutes I was pretty chilled. I was using the TF and these for a wicking layerEMS Men's Techwick Heavyweight Tights - Eastern Mountain Sports EMS Men's Techwick Heavyweight 1/2 Zip - Eastern Mountain Sports

I was toasty warm for about 30 minutes then started to get chilled. I did a dive a couple of weeks ago in 42 degree water and was fine for an hour, my predive routine was the same both dives I just think the extra 3 degrees just through me over the edge. I was hoping other cold water divers could post what there thermal protection is and what there cold water tolerance is. On the next dive I think I'm going to try wearing the TF on the car ride to the dive site to "to increase my thermal units" as TSandM would say.

The last 2 Sundays I dove 2 tanks each day in 37 degree water for over an hour without getting cold.
In the winter I use the same Polartech 200g fleece I use in the summer, the only difference is I wear a pair of long johns underneath and always wear my undergarments to the site.
The real key for me has been wearing extra weight, which allows me a nice size warm air bubble in my suit.

Night diving New England in the winter. You really are going into nitrogen withdrawals.

you could go with electric underwear

I was thinking about that but it costs almost as much as a warm water dive vacation.

I typically do not wear even my base/wicking layer on the car ride to dive sites, not to mention my main undergarment, as the last thing I want is to sweat prior to my dive. But I'm in CA, so if the sun is shining I typically fail in this regard even donning my underwear and drysuit just prior to entering the water. If I sweat in my undergarment prior to entering the water I tend to become chilled toward the end of the dive, even wearing 400g of thinsulate. Maybe up there in northern NE during wintertime pre-dive sweating is a nonissue.

I did a dive in 39 degree water last friday night and after 50 minutes I was pretty chilled. I was using the TF and these for a wicking layerEMS Men's Techwick Heavyweight Tights - Eastern Mountain Sports EMS Men's Techwick Heavyweight 1/2 Zip - Eastern Mountain Sports

I was toasty warm for about 30 minutes then started to get chilled. I did a dive a couple of weeks ago in 42 degree water and was fine for an hour, my predive routine was the same both dives I just think the extra 3 degrees just through me over the edge. I was hoping other cold water divers could post what there thermal protection is and what there cold water tolerance is. On the next dive I think I'm going to try wearing the TF on the car ride to the dive site to "to increase my thermal units" as TSandM would say.

The last 2 Sundays I dove 2 tanks each day in 37 degree water for over an hour without getting cold.
In the winter I use the same Polartech 200g fleece I use in the summer, the only difference is I wear a pair of long johns underneath and always wear my undergarments to the site.
The real key for me has been wearing extra weight, which allows me a nice size warm air bubble in my suit.

Night diving New England in the winter. You really are going into nitrogen withdrawals.

I would have done anything to get in the water, although the viz was awesome. We also had no trouble finding a parking spot at Nubble, unlike during the summer.

Andy, I would suggest another tack. I would drink some hot cocoa before you dive. Make it nice and sweet, you will have the necessary calories to help keep you warm. I'm serious on this one.

Well, I have to say that if I got 50 minutes in 39 degree water, I'd be pretty happy!

My approach to thermal unit management, as said, is to begin with the trip to the dive site. You want to remain uncomfortably warm, right up until you get in the water, if it's possible. (Just on the verge of sweating.) Undergarments, long coat, and hat, and stay out of the wind. All gear checks and plan reviews done before getting in the water, so that once you're wet, you're diving. Swim a little more than you would usually do. Use Argon -- I know the studies are equivocal, but I've done enough personal experimentation to be convinced, and so is my husband. Dry gloves. And a REALLY well-fitted hood, which makes a huge difference.

And still, if the water is cold enough, you're going to get cold. There's only so much even the best UG can do. Which is why I'm in the process of setting up a Santi heated vest, and yes, by the time I'm done, I will have spent the cost of a cheap dry suit on the thing.

Reactions: Jax
I *need* a new drysuit. I am so confused. For the last 18 years I have been wearing 7mm uncompressed neoprene drysuits. My current suit has a full titanium layer fwiw. always with polartec 200 undergarments. I have been test diving various option, dove a bare tec dry trilam with a weezle extreme+. COLD. (also dove it with my polartec the weekend before - cold!) Dove a fusion maybe 5x with the same variety of undergarments. Cold.

I use the same tactics as Lynne. Warm pants, down vest, hat, gloves, car heater on. I prep all gear in winter gear etc. Don't get cold before you
start.

I can do a 70 min deco dive in January in 44F water in my neoprene without thinking about being too cold. I always wear drygloves, but even my hands were cold last saturday in the bare tech dry with weezle diving from a heated boat. My feet were FROZEN after (attached boots on the neoprene) How are you guys staying "warm" ?(defining warm as being "warm enough" to not have **** I'm cold as the primary thought in your brain - I am cool in my neoprene, but not I want to get out now! cold, and I did manage 64 mins but it was prolly dumb...mind over matter NDL dive in 44F water.)

I have a new ds on my *need list*. But what to buy? I can fully do all my skills in a rear entry 7mm neoprene suit. 8 years of martial arts will give you the strength and flexibility... I like the weight of a trilam on the surface.....great for teaching when I spend more time on the beach than the water... and OK for recreational type dives, but deco or long NDL dives brrrrrr!

tkdgodess
I have a new ds on my *need list*. But what to buy? I can fully do all my skills in a rear entry 7mm neoprene suit. 8 years of martial arts will give you the strength and flexibility... I like the weight of a trilam on the surface.....great for teaching when I spend more time on the beach than the water... and OK for recreational type dives, but deco or long NDL dives brrrrrr!

I can relate because I get cold easy as well (i'm not the biggest guy) and dive Dry Everywhere I go. When I am in 40 degree water I dive a SANTI E. Lite with SANTI BZ400 undergarment and a SANTI Heated Vest and now I am fine. The nice part about the SANTI suit is that there are no modifications or RTV to go back and forth between the regular inflater and the inflator for the heated vest. There is a gasket at that point on the suit and it is a 2 second swap. I have got spoiled with the heated vest not only for Deco Dives but it has allowed me to actually wear lighter weight undergarments at certain points in the year, especially handy when teaching.

Back
Top Bottom