Still celebrating end of tax season - April 17 (Night)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats more like it.

Ok this dive was FREEKY we saw a Great White. he was huge vis was only 5 ft if that so we saw its tail fin and about 5 ft forward of it and still did not see his dorsal fin so he was a good 14 15 ft. thats enough diving at leo for me for awhile. It does not help that the surfers said they saw a fin yesterday breaking the surface.

:jaws: Yes, Erika and I saw it. I'm still a little in a shock. I've talked to a few people trying to identify what we saw and I believe it to be a Great White Shark. Fortunately there was no chase :sharkattack: but it was nothing what I was expecting to see.

Viz at best was 1 1/2 Erika's. I'm thinking the back of the tale was 3 1/2 to 4 feet in front of me. The shark was swimming at about 45 degrees from my sight. It was dark gray to black. The back fin was scissors shape, for sure not a seal or a sea lion. It was big. From it's tale to the dorsal fin which I could barely make out was 4 to 5 feet.

I saw it and turned to Erika and she was looking at it too. She turned :confused: to see if I saw it and I was just shaking my head YES. :dropmouth

I tried to get Erika to swim back to shore but she insisted on surfacing. We did a slow ascend from about 25 feet and had a long surface swim ahead of us. I knew I rather have stayed under there, NOT THAT I WAS NOT FREAKED OUT LIKE ERIKA. I just figured staying under would be safer. We both had about 900 PSI of air but we did the surface swim back. :shakehead:

We were talking on the way back trying to determine what we saw. I said it was a whale, cause it looked like it could have been. However, Erika pointed out that we were in shallow waters. I said Dolphines, she said they would never come that close. We stoped talking then and kicked for a while. Then she asked if it could have been a Sea Lion, but I mentioned the fin and she agreed. Neither one of us mentioned the word SHARK until we were back on LAND. :11: :11: :11:

Not to mention the tail fin was running up and down not horazontal. so that makes it a shark. Go tell Jeff and them on the dive for sat they dont belive me

I look at tax season like some others look at Christmas. The last one is past, but now we're in the next one. No celebrations here.

Consider yourselves lucky. Although I know they are in the area when I dive out here on the island, I've only had one observed pass by as I filmed (I didn't see it but Wyland, who was my buddy on that dive, did). I only got to see them from a cage off Guadalupe... not quite the adrenaline rush that having one swim past in the open entails.

Legend is that there was once an incident in our dive park where a 10' great white swam right past a BOW class on their knees doing skills. I can't verify that. I figure it was either the best dive of their lives... or the last!

I was doing a little freediving this morning and saw your shark... He was nice and gave me a ride!
No seriously I am posting this so you can look at his tail... is this what you saw?

andre-hitches-ride-lg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom