Stiff hoses on brand new regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can put them in " WARM WATER " to help get the "SET" out of them... The only hoses that are flexible are the braided ones... I put braided hoses on both mine and the wife's octo's and 2nd stages... BIG IMPROVEMENT... But, With the new problem that has come up with the inner lining breaking down.. I'll most likely replace them every two years, I have rubber hoses that are 20 yrs old and are fine...

So for me it's....
Low pressure regulator hoses are braided and High pressure hoses are rubber as is the low pressure inflator hoses...

Jim....

Last edited:
I have never experienced that problem. And some of mine are quite old.

Do you have any that are 50 years old?

The original hose that came on my USD Calypso, when I took it out of the box it was so stiff it cracked on the exterior rubber when I attempted to straighten it. Is that stiff enough for you?

On subject, uncoil the new hoses, they may limber up some.

James

Do you have any that are 50 years old?

The original hose that came on my USD Calypso, when I took it out of the box it was so stiff it cracked on the exterior rubber when I attempted to straighten it. Is that stiff enough for you?

On subject, uncoil the new hoses, they may limber up some.

James
Uncoiled them and they are being hung. Seems to be working.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

...snip... But, With the new problem that has come up with the inner lining breaking down.....

Jim,

I was unaware of this problem. Is this with lp and hp hoses? I've been converting most of my lp hoses over to braided.

Any links to more info?

TIA

................................................................................................

D'oh.....just found the other thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/511177-problem-generic-braided-hoses.html

Last edited:
You can put them in " WARM " to help get the "SET" out of them... The only hoses that are flexible are the braided ones... I put braided hoses on both mine and the wife's octo's and 2nd stages... BIG IMPROVEMENT... But, With the new problem that has come up with the inner lining breaking down.. I'll most likely replace them every two years, I have rubber hoses that are 20 yrs old and are fine...

So for me it's....
Low pressure regulator hoses are braided and High pressure hoses are rubber as is the low pressure inflator hoses...

Jim....

The Miflex brand hoses are not breaking down. Apparently there are some braided hoses of suspect origin that are breaking down dangerously. Real Miflex hoses have identifying laser etching on the fittings with a date stamp and the words Miflex and other info on the fittings. They come in a reusable plastic envelope. Buddhasummer has been on this like flies on stink, not sure of his latest findings.

So, I am actually on a little dive trip at the moment but before leaving last week I ran a bore scope into my genuine Miflex hoses. They are 100% okay. I will continue to purchase and use them with confidence. But, that said, I do not think they will have anywhere near the longevity of a good rubber pressure hose, which can last decades. I also would not use any hose of any type in overhead without careful inspection of it's integrity and I doubt I would use a hose more than a few years old in overhead where my life actually counted upon it.

I have had new rubber hoses, straight from the box leak. I had a brand new HP hose leaking badly at the fitting and good old Couv kept fussing over it in Cozumel a couple of years ago, until I replaced it. I was quite liking the bubble show it made, rather entertaining.

Some regs are coming with these large bore hoses to supposedly reduce pressure drop and improve breathing effort but then we have the cult of DIR extremists wrapping themselves with seven foot long standard diameter hoses, and this subject has been investigated and tested, it really is not an issue. You can use long hoses without any appreciable degradation in performance to one's hearts content.

James

I believe there is a strong possibility that there may be an issue with some Miflex hoses, Andy alludes that his are by reporting that they are of Italian origin, they also are stamped MFX which I believe is/was used as an indentifier by Miflex. There is currently a recall on certain manufacture date Phantom hoses.

---------- Post added August 1st, 2015 at 11:21 AM ----------

Just noticed couv found the thread.

I think it's too early in the game to say what is a good hose and what is not... It is wise to be on the lookout as to bad "Braided Flex hoses".. ANY BRAND..

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom