Sticky Situation: PADI vs SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not being PADI, this might not make sense..... but we send students out all the time with the universal referral form.... the cert instructor signs it and fills it out, gives it BACK to the student and the student returns it to the shop and the shop process the students card...... Maybe PADI does it different BUT it isnt that hard........

An OW card is an OW card. The only advantage of PADI is that you can verify your certification status by the internet at any resort around the world, and I believe that they have a phone in system too.

The only thing I don't like about the SSI OW card is that their "progression" system the card will say you have got 5 dives on it. Then once you reached 12, you bring in your log book and buy another C card that say you are a "level 3 diver" or somesort of garbage like that. Then you pay for more cards as you earn more dives.

But it is fraudulent to pass yourself as a PADI instructor if you can not complete the certification process. It is also fraudulent to give someone an SSI card without at least requiring them to take the SSI test (although it is slightly different as the table layout is different, and might take a few minutes to figure out). You can use your PADI table to take the SSI test, but you will get the wrong answer.

I've been with my son's confined water and openwater dives for his SSI card, and have assisted in 4 PADI classes, and the requirement are essentially the same. The exception is that PADI require you to demonstrate the ability to breath from a free flowing regulator. I would not be surprise if your original instructor would not help you out if you wanted a PADI OW card.

Most of us here know that the two brands are essentially identical - except for the card - at this level.

An OW card is an OW card. The only advantage of PADI is that you can verify your certification status by the internet at any resort around the world, and I believe that they have a phone in system too.

The only thing I don't like about the SSI OW card is that their "progression" system the card will say you have got 5 dives on it. Then once you reached 12, you bring in your log book and buy another C card that say you are a "level 3 diver" or somesort of garbage like that. Then you pay for more cards as you earn more dives.

Although they'll happily print cards for you all day (as long as you pay), you don't ever need a new card unless you want one. All you need is your OW card and your logbook to prove how many dives you have.

Terry

It is unethical.

On whose part? The instructor, sure, but the OP is the victim, not the perpetrator of the unethical action. There is nothing unethical about accepting something else in lieu of what was promised, should they decide it equally satisfies their needs. The OP is under no ethical burden here, unless she decides to lie to someone about the situation.

If the instructor truly believes you demonstrated skills at the level SSI requires, and, as already confirmed by others, the SSI card doesn't impair your plans for con-ed, then it's a good solution.

bfw:
On whose part? The instructor, sure, but the OP is the victim, not the perpetrator of the unethical action.

You are exactly right. If anyone thought I meant ligersandtions was anything other than a victim in this mess, I apologize.

The bottom line is when you contract to deliver a particular item, you deliver that item, you don't substitute. If you can't deliver that item, you tell the person up front. Telling them after the fact is unethical.

halemano:
In the big picture this is a very very minor thing, not worth wasting another minute on!

Ethics is never a minor thing. Yes, I'd rather have a c-card from any other agency than PADI, but that's not the issue. The issue is not that they didn't get a c-card, but they didn't get the one they contracted to get. There are two victims here - ligersandtions and PADI. Both were cheated.

Ethics is never a minor thing. Yes, I'd rather have a c-card from any other agency than PADI, but that's not the issue. The issue is not that they didn't get a c-card, but they didn't get the one they contracted to get. There are two victims here - ligersandtions and PADI. Both were cheated.
That's where my irritation comes in....if she had told me upfront that she was no longer active, and thus could not give me a PADI cert, I would have looked for someone who could. She was a really great instructor and I had an amazing time with her, but now I'm irritated that she's not holding up her end of the bargain.
Walter is correct. And you're justified in your irritation.
Lesson learned.
As a practical matter, however, pursuing justice in this case is a waste of your time - take whatever C card they send you and, if you want a card that says "PADI" go take the next PADI AOW course at your home shop.
The one thing you can do is to let everyone know the name of the dive shop that pulled the switch so others will know they may or may not get what those folks say they'll get.
Rick

Last edited:
Be happy they did not say that you must do the SSI version of the classroom and study material to get certified via the referral process.

Take the card and run.

Be happy? When the instructor couldn't have just come clean up front and said what the situation was?

I don't know about most people, but "being happy" about not being told I'd have to re-do training during my vacation to cover their inability to cover this is not realistic.

I wonder why the instructor didn't just tell them up front and give them the option of finishing with an instructor of their choice.

Bottom line: It's not the change that's significant, both agencies are fine, it's the change WITHOUT their consent.

Oh, and besides contacting PADI (which may well result in this instructor not teaching PADI again), I'd contact the other agency. They may not be too thrilled with the way this was handled either. Agencies don't like bad instruction associated with their branding.

... I'd have to re-do training ...
There's no need to redo anything. Take the OW card and press on to the next step, with whatever agency you want... this really is a harmless foul from a practical standpoint, though still a foul.
Rick

Obviously ethics are not an issue in regards to the OP. The dive operator, obviously, has some issues ... regardless of the "rock in a hard place" position they may be in.

Lesson learned at an affordable price.

One thing I did read, that I liked, was that the OP is looking to the path for ongoing training. And it looks like the OP will take that training seriously. A breath of fresh air from a new diver.

My advice: Take whatever card you can get. Figure out what your goals and objectives are as a diver. Find an instructor that will help you meet those objectives. Don't take short cuts when it comes to training. Remember the training is more important than the card. Stick with that instructor like glue! Dive a lot and practice, practice, practice.

Skills rust when removed from water :wink:

Good luck and welcome to Scubaboard.

Back
Top Bottom