Sticky buttons DC500...and a bit of surfing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Ogre

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a DC 500. After my last trip I noticed that both zoom control buttons on the inside of the housing have rust on them and are really sticky. I took a soft toothbrush with some mild dish soap and scrubbed the controls and they seem to be working better. Has anyone else had this problem.

I am very diligent about rinsing, but this was the first time I took it to do surf pix. Possible some sand made its way into the control sleeve. Is there a procedure and parts for refurbishing the controls or do I have to send it back to SeaLife?

I am going diving tomorrow and plan to sink the housing (sans camera) to 100' to see if it going to flood. Crossing my fingers.

Here a surf picture for the h#ll of it...

Thanks
O

Attachments

• diggin.JPG
    diggin.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 66
I have a friend who has a DC500 and she pointed out the same problem with her housing to me on our last dive trip. Sounds like you're doing the right things. I'd send a PM to SeaLifeDenise and see if she or her folks have any recommendations regarding application of a VERY light coat of 3 in 1 oil (I'd use a q-tip to apply it) or some silicone to the inner (rusted) surface of the buttons if they say it's ok.

Looking at my friend's camera, it seemed the problem might have come less from rinsing the housing after use that from an un-noticed buildup of condensation inside the housing that wasn't cleaned off, but I couldn't tell for sure. Good luck!

I think you could be right about the condensation. There was a bit of "dew" on the lens when I got back to the beach.
I will send a message to Denise ASAP....Thanks

I had the same problem some time ago and contacted Sealife about it. They told me to apply some silicone with a tooth pick from the inside on the shaft of these buttons and then push them several times. That solved the problem of the stickyness. Your procedure sounds like a valid way to remove any loose dirt or rust before you apply the silicone.
I went several times with the camera to more than 100 feet and never experienced any flooding.

Thanks for the tips. Here is one more possibility: You folks all live in humid climates and the manual says to leave the housing unlatched when not in use. You could have moisture problems during not use, too - not a problem I have to deal with at my home. You might look at how your store your camera and housing in non-use, maybe even use one of these...
[c]
DampridGroupShotsm2.jpg

D A M P R I D - The Original Non-Electric Moisture Absorber
[/c]

I would suggest putting a small amount of silicone lubricant on the shaft of the sticking button then work it back and forth until it frees up. Use a tooth pick to apply the lubricant. Make sure to apply it to the inside of the housing and not on the outside.

Thanks for everyone's help and advise.
O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom