Stick on Mask Magnifying Lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses, guess I'll pay a visit to my local Walgreens and see if they have any in stock. Sounds like perhaps one step under your normal reading needs might be appropriate, maybe due to waters magnifying effect?

I was figuring on putting these as low in the mask as possible to maximize forward distant vision but it sounds like not everyone does this? If these are soft has anyone reshaped them to get them to fit the bottom of your mask?

Thanks.

Offroad:
Thanks for the responses, guess I'll pay a visit to my local Walgreens and see if they have any in stock. Sounds like perhaps one step under your normal reading needs might be appropriate, maybe due to waters magnifying effect?

I was figuring on putting these as low in the mask as possible to maximize forward distant vision but it sounds like not everyone does this? If these are soft has anyone reshaped them to get them to fit the bottom of your mask?

Thanks.
Mine were crescent shaped on the bottom, flat on the top (not unlike "granny" reading glasses). They fit well right against the bottom of the mask lens without inhibiting forward "normal" vision at all. I didn't try 'reshaping' or trimming.

I normally use a 2.0 diopter in reading glasses, and the 1.75 were fine in the Hydros...

I also used the crescent on the bottom, flat on the top style and had very bad luck.

I have prounounced laugh lines and often have a leak mask. The lenses would become dislodged after only a few dives, after 50 dives or so I finally just threw them away.

I bought the trident lenses and had a very different experinece. The stick on lenses that are available from trident are glued in place with clear silicone and I have one on my left side only. I liked them so much I got another one for my backup mask. Since installing them I have never had any problems with them in any way. I am a happy camper.

Mark Vlahos

Thanks again for all the responses.

Bought a pair of the $10 versions at Wallgreens as was suggested. Installation was easy and after one pool session they are still stuck tight even after trying to dislodge them by shaking the mask under water.

They seem to work well but my wife thinks they need to be moved up a bit. I installed them all the way in the bottom of her X-Vision, the glass on it extends pretty low.

Scubagolf:
I use Dive Optx Magnifier Lenses that I ordered from Scubatoys. Here's the link to the Scubatoys page. http://scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Masks.asp
The Dive Optx lenses are half-way down the page.
That's the one! *Dive Optx* (not Hydro Optix... that's the domed mask, I think).

See what happens when senility sets in!!!! :eyebrow:

Amazing. All I've had was bad luck with these things coming loose. I've been through 3 pairs despite following the directions explicitly. I have one of the new Atomic Vison masks so wonder if the new glass they use is a problem? The mask is incredibly dry, so its not the water. What am I doing wrong?

merxlin:
Amazing. All I've had was bad luck with these things coming loose. I've been through 3 pairs despite following the directions explicitly. I have one of the new Atomic Vison masks so wonder if the new glass they use is a problem? The mask is incredibly dry, so its not the water. What am I doing wrong?

Mike: I cleaned the mask skirt and glass with toothpaste and then followed it up with Dawn dish soap. I used lots of warm water during rinsing, then applied them wet, held them in place and dumped out the remaining water. Patted out the remaining water gently with a soft cloth and let dry for 24hrs.

All this was per the instructions I received with mine. It also says you can remove and move them by peeling up a corner and repeating the above but I haven't tried that yet.

Hope this helps!

Offroad:
Mike: I cleaned the mask skirt and glass with toothpaste and then followed it up with Dawn dish soap. I used lots of warm water during rinsing, then applied them wet, held them in place and dumped out the remaining water. Patted out the remaining water gently with a soft cloth and let dry for 24hrs.

All this was per the instructions I received with mine. It also says you can remove and move them by peeling up a corner and repeating the above but I haven't tried that yet.

Hope this helps!

I cleaned both masks quite well, as they were new. No fogging problems so think I got them pretty welll free of any residue. Nothing more frustrating than watching one of those slide down and then be gone when you remove your mask! I have one set left. I'll clean the mask again, and warm the water up a bit. Maybe that will make the difference. Thanks for the tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom