Stick on Mask Magnifying Lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Offroad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I both currently use a Mares X-Vision mask. We like the masks very much, but she's having problems reading small items on her wrist computer. How well do the stick on bi-focal type lenses work?

Are they decent to look through and if installed properly do they stay on? Can you apply defog over it when doing the mask prior to a dive? I guess you'd use the same diopter as for reading glasses?

Thanks for any info.

I use these, http://www.optx2020.com/, and have great results. I use a regular defog on them and don't have any problems, and in fact the wetter they get the better they stick.

I use them to read the small print on my cue cards,never had a problem.Its kinda trial and error as to the one you need because of the magnification underwater. My reading glasses are 2.5,but the ones that work best on my mask are 1.75.

I have the stick on in my Mares X Vision. They work just fine and stay on well. I have never had them come off unintentionally. I have the +1.5 diopter. It helps reading my guages wonderfully. Perfect. I have another set in my USD Atlantis mask and have the same good results now for a couple of years. HydroOptics I think they are.

One thing, with glasses you usually place the top of the bifocal even with the lashes. For my masks since I am usually looking downward to see my guages etc I have decided to lower them roughly equal with the lower eye lid and not the upper. This way they stay out of your field of view but for reading guages or looking at small objects they are great. I do not use corrective lenses other than for a stigmatism, my prescription glasses are bifocal primarily with just the stigmatism correction. For a person who needs significant correction in addition to bifocals then a prescription ground mask lens might be more desirable.

N

Nemrod:
I have the stick on in my Mares X Vision. They work just fine and stay on well. I have never had them come off unintentionally. I have the +1.5 diopter. It helps reading my guages wonderfully. Perfect. I have another set in my USD Atlantis mask and have the same good results now for a couple of years. HydroOptics I think they are.

One thing, with glasses you usually place the top of the bifocal even with the lashes. For my masks since I am usually looking downward to see my guages etc I have decided to lower them roughly equal with the lower eye lid and not the upper. This way they stay out of your field of view but for reading guages or looking at small objects they are great. I do not use corrective lenses other than for a stigmatism, my prescription glasses are bifocal primarily with just the stigmatism correction. For a person who needs significant correction in addition to bifocals then a prescription ground mask lens might be more desirable.

N

....close.....It's Astigmatism(the word begins with an A)...and it's called the seg height... In bifocals, we measure from the bottom of the lens(frame) to the the lower lid(seg ht.), for trifocals the seg height is measured from the bottom of the lens(frame) to the bottom of the pupil, in mm of course.....Usually the seg ht. of a trifocal is about 3 mm higher than the ht. of a bifocal.....Now we won't get into the P.D.(pupillary distance).....BTW, what you are talking about should work fine, in fact, some people just put it for one eye & monocularly use the mask-- think of the 'old days' & people using monocles....It works either way ie with less than 1 diopter of astigmatism needed for correction.....

Why do you have me thinking of work on this Sunday evening...lol......

I used the HydroOptics as well, with relatively good results.

The trick, I think, is following the directions explicitly to get all the air bubbles out, and to get the proper 'bond' between the mask and thingies...

Mine lasted about 40 dives or so, before ending up floating around in the mask...

I decided to ultimately find a mask that didn't leak (tough with a stache to get a decent dry fit -- but finally found it in SeaVision's Ultra). Then, get them with gauge readers built in. SeaVision has a quality setup, with ground in readers, rather then glue-ons.

However, the Hydro Optics should work for you... they're a decent solution.

diver85, astigmatism, yes, sorry, of course it is. I am new to glasses having always been gifted with very good eyesight.

When installing them for good results the glass must be squeaky clean.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom