Step over to BP/W's?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaFlea

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I've always received some great help form this board and its members, I thank you for your time. I'm debating the issue of switching from a Seaquest Balance BC to a ridgid backplate with a wing. I started out with a jacket style BC, then to the back mount bladder Balance, and now THINK I would enjoy the Tec oriented backplate design BC.

Now, I dive only tropical, and only get to go once or twice a year to Cozumel or Bonaire.

I've been told from other BP/W divers, their rig is comfortable and more stable than a soft-pac BC. It looks like the rigid steel plate holds the tank more firmly and lets the harness distribute the weight more evenly across the back.

Is this the case? Are the rigid backplates more comfortable that the conventional BC?

It looks like if you don't have a decent back pad it could be quite hard on the shoulder blades.

Then the weight issue. Do most of the BP/W divers use a weight belt Vs. the integrated weight pouches of the regular BC? (I understand the weight of the plate to subtracted from my normal dive weight)

Thx for your time and your replies.

SeaFlea.

The BP/W is ,for me, no less comfortable than a jacket bc and has numerous advantages. I have made the entire progression from jacket to back inflate to "comfort delux" harness to plate with hog rig. Would suggest that you leave out the comfort harness and go straight to the one piece harness. My weights are carried in XS Scuba pockets on the tank straps and the 5 lb. stainless steel plate. Position of weights will of course vary from diver to diver. I am pleased with my set up and never look back to the jacket.

I've been told from other BP/W divers, their rig is comfortable and more stable than a soft-pac BC. It looks like the rigid steel plate holds the tank more firmly and lets the harness distribute the weight more evenly across the back.

Is this the case? Are the rigid backplates more comfortable that the conventional BC?

It looks like if you don't have a decent back pad it could be quite hard on the shoulder blades.

In the water the BP/W is much more comfortable. The openness to the front chest area feels very freeing (you don't have all that wrap-around stuff, cumber bun, thick shoulder straps, pockets, weight integrated pouches). It's wide open.

Out of the water, some say it's less comfortable when you're walking around with it on, although with a 5mm wetsuit or more I can't tell.

Then the weight issue. Do most of the BP/W divers use a weight belt Vs. the integrated weight pouches of the regular BC? (I understand the weight of the plate to subtracted from my normal dive weight)

Yes, most use a weight belt. But you can also use weight pockets or a channel weight. Although, with my warm water 3/2 wetsuit, my steel BP is heavy enough that I don't need any additional weight - but there are lighter BP's for warm water, which may be a better option if that's what you're mostly diving.

Greetings all,

I've always received some great help form this board and its members, I thank you for your time. I'm debating the issue of switching from a Seaquest Balance BC to a ridgid backplate with a wing. I started out with a jacket style BC, then to the back mount bladder Balance, and now THINK I would enjoy the Tec oriented backplate design BC.

Now, I dive only tropical, and only get to go once or twice a year to Cozumel or Bonaire.

Thx for your time and your replies.

SeaFlea.

SeaFlea,

Backplates can look intimidating, but a properly fit plate and harness is very comfortable. Pads are not required.

Most divers switching from a conventional BC to BP&W find they can use substantially less weight in a belt for three reasons; a Stainless back plate and harness provides about 6 lbs of ballast, a BP&W is not inherently buoyant like most jacket BC's, and often new BP&W divers are more carefully examining their ballast requirements.

If I assume your diving in the tropics will be with a 3mm wetsuit and al 80 cylinder, you will need about 8 lbs of total ballast. An empty al 80 is about +4 lbs and the typical 3mm suit is about +4 lbs. 4 + 4 = 8 lbs.

A medium Stainless plate and harness is about -6 lbs and your reg is about -2 lbs.

No weight belt required. If you need a little more ballast, say for a 5mm suit, 2-4 lbs in a weight belt is no big deal.

With thin suits , 3mm or 5mm, and al 80 tanks you can use a very small wing. Your rig will only be about 10 lbs negative with a full bottle, and your suit can't oose more buoyancy than it starts with (~4 lbs) That makes a 17 lbs wing perfect.

If you have other questons please let me know.

Tobin

Thanks, thats good to hear.

About the harness; i'm a well padded fellow and don't need too much in the way of suits. In Coz its a 3mm shorty and in bonaire just a tee shirt. Are the plain harness straps hard on nearly bare shoulders? Do they offer any add-on comfort wraps or pads for the shoulder straps?

Also, with the HOG harness, it doesn't appear that there are any quick strap disconnects to get out of the rig. How do you ditch the rig for either emergency or at the surface if you chose to hand off your rig to the boatman?

thx very much,

Seaflea

Well SeaFlea, you gotten great advice from two very knowledgable people.

As to you last questions, yes, there are add-on pads that canbe worn over a one-piece "hog" harness. Each person has to decide what best for them, but try it without those first. If you have comfort issues, then add the pads. Most BP/W users don't feel the need for them.

No, there are no quick release buckles on a hog harness. You adjust the harnes to the right fit for you and then it doesn't change. They are not hard to get into or out of, above or below the water. A BP/W isn't worn tightened all the way down like most people wear thier jacket BCs. If there is a true emergency and someone doesnt know how to get you out, cut the straps. It's only $15 for a replacement.

also, if your dive partners don't also use a BP/W make sure to explain it to them before the dive so that they know what to expect, and how to react in an emergency.

I see.

I will admit, I like the quick release shoulder straps. Its very easy to shed the rig when you want to. I think I have seen some BP/W harnesses that are more like a conventional BC's harness.

Thx for your replies. This is the place to get some REAL answers.

SeaFlea

With a properly adjusted harness and a wetsuit, it's pretty trivial to get in and out of the rig, either on land or in the water. (It gets a little more challenging with a dry suit and dry glove rings, but it's still doable.) In an emergency, if the rescuer doesn't know the trick to getting someone out of a harness quickly, they can simply cut it.

I really like the tank stability that comes with a plate. I have done a quarter mile hike (not my estimate, but what I was told by the person who showed us the place) in a 3 mil suit with an Al80 on my back, and I didn't have any problem from the harness. (That's a long way to walk with a tank on your back, though!) For 3 mil suit diving, I use a SS plate with 2 lbs of weight on one of the cambands. Whatever method you use for storing ballast, it's important to share it with your buddy so that he knows how to make you more buoyant on the surface.

The Backplate and Wing set up will NEVER be as comfortable as a BC. They aren't designed to give COMFORT but control. There is one spring that has a humongous hike associated with it. I hate bringing my BP&Wing there. I rarely see anyone dive their BP without at least a shirt on. It chafes too much.

That being said, I dive a BP&Wing way more than I don't. Why? CONTROL. What the BP&Wing lacks in comfort it gives me back in control. No shifting, no slipping: just my rig right where I want it to be. They are the ONLY way to dive doubles for me.

Also, I have a lot of joint issues. The BP is harder to doff and don. It won't matter if you don't have arthritis or similar conditions, but it's apparent to me that being a semi contortionist is good when you are gearing up on a boat with a BP&Wings.

Thanks, thats good to hear.

About the harness; i'm a well padded fellow and don't need too much in the way of suits. In Coz its a 3mm shorty and in bonaire just a tee shirt. Are the plain harness straps hard on nearly bare shoulders? Do they offer any add-on comfort wraps or pads for the shoulder straps?

Also, with the HOG harness, it doesn't appear that there are any quick strap disconnects to get out of the rig. How do you ditch the rig for either emergency or at the surface if you chose to hand off your rig to the boatman?

thx very much,

Seaflea

Seaflea:

I currently dive a Dive Rite transplate which is one of the "comfort" harnesses. Now to be honest, I am changing to a traditional HOG harness; as the transplate doesn't offer some of the adjustability a HOG rig does. The HOG rig is not uncomfortable, I have dove with them... As far as comfort in the water, I feel my transplate is more bulky and uncomfortable than the HOG rig! The quick releases ontop of the water honestly do not make a big difference, I think I have only actually used them once or twice since I have started diving with the transplate.

-Tony DC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom