Steel vs Alum. tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Well, I hope not to start any trouble. I know there is a seperate area for this stuff but wondering about the DIR/HOG feelings on this. Since I have decided that all of my dive gear is obsolete and I am starting over very nearly (well--not all the way) I probably need a few more tanks. I was thinking the steel 100s rigged for single use with a Y or H valve. Is this a correct set up for singles? My diving will be primarily warm water Advanced/Adventure type open water, some deep and some just for fun diving. There may be some wreck exploration. After the --er--discussion on clips and buckles I dare to broach this question on tanks--lol---but I have a need to know if I should stick with aluminum 80s etc.
There are several places I plan to dive which are really quite deep, well beyond the 130 foot sport diver limit but most of my diving will be within normal limits.

My regulators that still work,
One Oceanic pilot assited
Tekna 2000s pilot assisted (two of these)
One ancient AL Calypso J
One Mares Mr12 type unit

My fins,
Mares full foot--I love them
Several AL Rocket fins
Voit Skindiver fins
Duck Feet fins
Several Force fins

Snorkels---NONE--I hate them

Computers-- brain plus table plus depth guage plus Heur watch and Princeton Bottom Timer

Back Plate --I am sticking with my plastic unit but rewebing it with proper rings etc

DiveRite Reel, homemade reel

Lights are homemade

Aquavideo housed JVC SVHS

Darn, I got bunches more. N

I'm no expert, but, I dive single steel 130s with my SS plate. Helps to keep the weight on my back instead of my waste. Keep AL80s, they'll make great stages for those deep dives you were talking about.

Nemrod,

My vote is for the steel tanks. I have used both low pressure and high pressure tanks. They each have their pros and cons. But the bottom line is they all hold more air than any alumimun and they are neutral or negative at the end of a dive not positive.

I have aluminum tanks and I use them for stage bottles when I'm tech diving. When I travel I have been forced to use aluminum in Costa Rica and the Cayman Islands. Try using an underfilled alumimum 72 on a 100 foot dive.

In Cozumel I only use dive ops that have the 120 steel tanks. I like knowing I have 50 percent more air and enjoy making an hour and a half dive.

Your gear sounds as old as mine. I broke down and bought some new regulators, tanks, wet and dry suits. I sold most of my gear as vintage and antique on Ebay.

Jim
Louisiana

Nemrod:
Well, I hope not to start any trouble. I know there is a seperate area for this stuff but wondering about the DIR/HOG feelings on this. Since I have decided that all of my dive gear is obsolete and I am starting over very nearly (well--not all the way) I probably need a few more tanks. I was thinking the steel 100s rigged for single use with a Y or H valve. Is this a correct set up for singles? My diving will be primarily warm water Advanced/Adventure type open water, some deep and some just for fun diving. There may be some wreck exploration. After the --er--discussion on clips and buckles I dare to broach this question on tanks--lol---but I have a need to know if I should stick with aluminum 80s etc.
There are several places I plan to dive which are really quite deep, well beyond the 130 foot sport diver limit but most of my diving will be within normal limits.

My regulators that still work,
One Oceanic pilot assited
Tekna 2000s pilot assisted (two of these)
One ancient AL Calypso J
One Mares Mr12 type unit

My fins,
Mares full foot--I love them
Several AL Rocket fins
Voit Skindiver fins
Duck Feet fins
Several Force fins

Snorkels---NONE--I hate them

Computers-- brain plus table plus depth guage plus Heur watch and Princeton Bottom Timer

Back Plate --I am sticking with my plastic unit but rewebing it with proper rings etc

DiveRite Reel, homemade reel

Lights are homemade

Aquavideo housed JVC SVHS

Darn, I got bunches more. N

Nemrod:
. . .my dive gear is obsolete and I am starting over very nearly . . . . .Tekna 2000s pilot assisted (two of these) . . . Darn, I got bunches more. N

Willing to part with these Tekna regs??

PM Me

If you are diving beyond 130 you need doubles, plain and simple. You should not be doing decompression dives on a single tank as, even with a Y valve, you don't have complete redundancy. Plus 100cft of gas is no where near enough gas to safely execute a dive deeper than 100 ft and still maintain adequate reserve for you and your buddy.

i like steel

Thanks for the imput Soggy. I would figure that diving in the 130 foot range with a single 100 I would leave a stage bottle for just in case I need to decompress and I would probably carry a pony but your info on the doubles is a good point--thanks.

Buddy--what buddy?

Sorry, I don't really want to sell the Tekna regs, one of them still works like new and I use it. I like diving with odd ball and old gear. The Teknas were a bit jumpy and flutter sometimes when shallow but at depth I have yet to find something that can put more air to you. I think the flutter is the result of the pilot (servo)valve being a tilt valve and being seated by that tiny little spring. I think it gets to rocking back and forth--if you understand the term as used in engineering--bootstrapping and feedback that is not fully damped by the tiny diaphram and thus the flutter--my thought anyways. N

Air for my buddy???????

I use steel 120's mostly. I have tons of AL 80's that I will use on shallower dives or for shorter dives but I love my 120's.

Nemrod:
Buddy--what buddy?

You asked for the DIR perspective...which means you need a buddy.

I know there is a seperate area for this stuff but wondering about the DIR/HOG feelings on this.

Last time I checked there is no "Hogarthian" view on things, unless you want Bill Main's thoughts. Sounds like you just want anyone's thoughts on your setup, which is fine, but you can't expect to ask for the DIR perspective on tank size without getting an answer that includes team contingency planning. :wink:

"View" or "perspective" there does appear to be some preference. I would probably not be planning deep or decompression or any type of penetration dive without a buddy therefore my interest in DIR. So one fellow seems to like the steel 120s and then use bottles for stage and decompression/safety stops. It seems theat DiveRite and halycon both offer DIR single tank set ups so it must be acceptable for certain types of diving. DIR does not always imply doubles? I really don't want to dive doubles except for extreme depth, wrecks or caves and these are all things I probably no longer do according to my wife (and isnurance company). When I said beyond 130 feet I meant probably 150 to 180 feet if that. Probably no more 230 foot dives for me. I do solo dive but for any type of tech diving a buddy who is reliable/skilled may be the most important gear selection. Thing is about buddies though is then you have to outfit for their redundancy also which increases the amount of equipment and air required for a dive but that is a whole 'nuhter thread best taken up somewhere else for sure. Thanks for the info, it has been taken into consideration. N

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom