Steel Vrs Aluminum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW that's some feedback thxs to everybody to contribute with the cause.

Now we got clear HOt water steel is the way to go!!!!!!cold water aluminum

Now i read another post they mentioned titanium Tanks i guess they are to lite and they can hold a whole lot more pressure but the regulator can stand the pressure?I don't think so.

mtyspider:
...Aluminum...

Cons

1)buyoncy is lower

I'm probably just showing my ignorance here, but I thought one issue people have with Al tanks is that their buoyancy at low pressures ("empty") was HIGHER, and that the lower buoyancy of steel was seen as an advantage.

Aluminum cons...
1 they ding easier
2 they have a shorter life expectancy
3 they require you to have extra lead...which you have to lug :)

PST steel rules :)

Paul in VT

Woden:
Hey...I resemble that remark.

Gotta stay warm now. I hate to say it but I've even overweighted myself by a couple pounds in order to keep some extra warm toasty air in my suit.

:losecool:
Amen to that. You gotta have the right priorities.

The dry weight of an AL80 is about the same as the dry weight of a PST E7-100.

The wet weight of an AL80 is approx 5 lbs less than the dry weight of a PST E7-100.

You'll carry around approx 5 lbs more weight on your weight belt using an AL80 vs. the PST E7-100. Depending on how much weight you need to carry, the AL80 can be 5 lbs. more hassle out of the water vs. a steel E7-100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom