steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

art.chick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have seen lots of divers recently with some 3500psi compressed steel tanks whereas they used to use an AL80. They say great things about them, but are there drawbacks?

They cost more than twice as much. You can get an AL80 from any LDS around here for $150 while the lowest price I found for HP120s was $338. Additionally some places charge more to fill higher capacity tanks.

There are advatages and disadvatages to each. Also -- there are 2 main types of steel tanks -- high pressure and low pressure. Those filled top 3500 are HP.

(-)
- More expensive
- Some shops *may* have trouble giving you a complete fill at this higher pressure

(+)
- More negative, allowing you to drop weight off your belt
- Some models are actually lighter (dry land weight) and physically smaller than AL tanks of the same capacity.

If it is the same kind of tank that my SO has, the yoke may require an adapter for a fill...but for us short people, the height works better. They may cost more to maintain, depending upon what kind of diving you do (wet boat fill vs. dry land fill.)

Back
Top Bottom