Steel tanks and compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
Do steel tanks interfere with compass function?

Personally, I'd doubt it (or not enough to worry you). If the compas was an inch or so away from the tank, I'd say then that their's a possibility, but if you wear your tanks on your back or sides - you should be pretty safe.

I asked the very same question during my navigation training a couple of days ago.

Actually a steel cylinder does interfere with the compass. However, the compass needs to be quite close to the cylinder (about 1 or 2 cm) for the cylinder to have any influence (we checked this on land ). So unless you have the compass strapped to the cylinder you won't have a problem using it while diving.

Rob

steel tank no, scooter yes. Just got to watch it.

The tanks do affect the compass, but so does your location in the world.

Unless you're so particular about your navigation that you're already making adjustments for magnetic variation, you shouldn't have to worry about it much... it'll still be accurate/consistant enough for ballpark navigation in close proximity. You won't have a 100% accurate reading, but you're probably off by quite a bit already without knowing it. If you look at the compass rose on a nautical chart for your area, it should give the magnetic variation in degrees and the annual adjustment that should be factored in. Any good boating navigation text should be able to explain how to use it. Unless you're planning to cover significant distance (on the order of miles) during your dive though, you shouldn't need to worry about that, or about the deviation caused by your gear.

In any case, the tanks shouldn't be making the compass needle point to your back, spin wildly, or anything like that.

I've been happy with my navigation diving exclusively steel cylinders. I will keep this in mind next time I get turned around in my head and swim home the wrong way though. :11:

Pete

No difference at all. I've helped with a bunch of nav dives in the quarry where we shoot a bearing from the platform to the helicopter. Whether I'm diving steel or aluminumn, the bearing I get is always the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom