Steel tank Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aerospace

Reaction score
hello everyone,
I am new to the board and have a question about steel tanks and age.
I ran into someone at work which has two steel tanks he would like to give
me because he no longer dives. My concern is that he told me they were
about 20 yrs old ,so is there a problem with older tanks as far as inspections.
I havent seen the tanks yet, but I would hate to pass up some good tanks.
He only did a few dives with them and then they went into storage. Opinions ?
I dont plan on going diving with them without a complete inspection, but I
dont want to waste time or have to figure out what to do with them if older
tanks have issues meeting inspection requirements.

Thanks,
Aerospace

For free?

At 20 years they could be 72's or Sherwood Genisis 100's I don't remember off hand what other sizes of steels were around in the mid 80's. But if all you need is a Hydro and vis, this is real cheep.

Take therm, drain off any gas and take the valve off and have a look. A little light rust is OK. But if you see a lot of flakes and major corrosion toss them.

If you keep them, they will need a Hydro. Take them to you dive shop and have them done. If they pass make sure the shop rebuilds the valves, this will mean a new seat, O ring, and washer, and a good cleaning. Total costs should be 30-35 or less each.

Then use them. I have some 72's with original Hydro dates in the early 70's and they are perfect. Unlike some aluminum tanks, steel tanks will last a long, long time with no problems if taken care of.

Take them and have them checked out. If they are deemed unsafe for diving cut the bottoms off, put a clapper in them and make bells :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Those are about the same age as my new steel tanks.

Gill, at that time, there were lots of options in steel tanks. In fact, I was diving some very old steel 96s during the mid to late 80s.

If you don't want them please send them to me, those are probably steel LP 72s and they are highly desireable tanks. Unlike modern steels they are not super heavy in the water so they are not the e-ticket for cold water diving where heavy tanks help distribute weight but for normal general purpose diving they are great tanks and doubled up make a terrific set of small doubles. N

When I did the PSI course last October they had a Steel 72 from 1957 than passed both the visual and hydro without a hitch. If they are well kept there should be no problem. I'm also currenly using a Steel 100 from 1989.

Like I said, steel tanks can last forever if taken care of. Next time you see a cascade in a LDS look at the hydro dates on the tanks, also in any weld shop. You will find many tanks that go back to the 1930's and if you look hard enough you may find a few made in 1909. I have only seen one from 1909, but they are around.

Here is a thing to look for. On any tank from the 30 or 40's look for what looks like a windo pane. That bottle came from Linde Co. in Germany and the window pane was orginaly the Natzi Swastika. In the US the open side were marked to make the windo pane shape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom