Steel tank Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a couple of Steel 72's that have a Hydro stamp from 1973 (so they're more than 30 years old). They are great tanks. When I had them VIPed in August - the inspector said they were so clean inside - nearly perfect (I looked too - very very clean)

The most recent Hydro is from 2005 with the + rating.

Thanks for all the replies !! I will let you know how it goes. I will
probably get the tanks next week. I just started diving, so still learning
and this site seems to be a great place for that.

Thanks,
aerospace

The reason Captain said that is because as many of us who use and dive vintage era equipment including steel tanks fromm that era (which these are) know FULL WELL that may LDS are ignorant and will scrap the tanks and try to sell you a new aluminum 80. We have had numerous threads on this forum including one just recently about Florida dive shops not only not filling pre 89 aluminum tanks but not filling any tank older than 15 years. I have run into this over and over--especially in Florida-- and many other places as well.

Fact, steel tanks of the type we are talking about can last lifetimes if not rusted or damaged or over filled grossly and FACT, many LDS don't have a clue as to what they are talking about and if you walk in with some older steels with J valves on them 90% of the time they will try to sell you new tanks and junk the old ones--that are still PERFECTLY good. Stations such as those linked by Captain may be more educated and less likely to destroy a good tank just because the galvanizing on it is dull and weird stuff like that. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom