Steel tank holder and handle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I picked up my second X7 Worthington HP 100's and got the XS handles. I then needed some type of holder so they wouldn't roll in the back of my CRV.

Here is what I came up with, was only $15 bucks...

6ynoev4.jpg

7292nb7.jpg

815jj2d.jpg

Looks good Mike, did you buy the foam in that shape or cut it?

Jimmer,

I picked it up at the LDS... They had the ones that hold up to three tanks but I found these to be more sturdy for just two tanks... They really grip the tank and the foam doesn't compress due to weight which is a plus...

MG

Nice, I've been thinking of getting something like that for the odd time I'm lugging singles around. The doubles are fine in the trunk of my civic, but when I put singles back there, I can't get them to stay put no matter what I seem to do.

I have a few Styrofoam wedges that I use but I hate the squeaking so I went to foam pipe insulation. A 2' piece of 3/4 foam pipe insulation on each side of the tank prevents rolling in normal driving situations.

The foam blocks are what many of us use. I have the three one and that way when we are carrying four tanks we can just set the forth off to the side. I often carry three tanks for myself. We set them in the vehicle with the bottom of the tank against the backseat. The handles are technically an entanglement hazard, especially with all the kelp and fishing line we dive around.

The foam blocks are what many of us use. I have the three one and that way when we are carrying four tanks we can just set the forth off to the side. I often carry three tanks for myself. We set them in the vehicle with the bottom of the tank against the backseat. The handles are technically an entanglement hazard, especially with all the kelp and fishing line we dive around.

If you take a closer look at the handles you see they don't project any sharp edges to hook themselves. They are very streamlined with curves minimizing the ability to hook fish line or kelp.

I've been diving Monterey kelp bed and find myself more entangled at my first stage and not my handle.

Remember these handles lay flat, flush against the tank when you dive; check them out at your LDS.

They are great for handling the tank from truck bed to main setup back to fill station. With cold hands I have allowed my hands to slip on my valve before I had handles.

Remember these handles lay flat, flush against the tank when you dive; check them out at your LDS.

I have one that I removed from a tank I purchased used. It will not be finding it's way onto my tank. I have seen the light that all danglies need to go away. Sorry for bringing it up.

I have one that I removed from a tank I purchased used. It will not be finding it's way onto my tank. I have seen the light that all danglies need to go away. Sorry for bringing it up.

Peter,

First of all you don't need to apoligize, not on my thread. I encourage divers to voice their opinions and you did, thanks. You bring great insight to others that might not want to risk that type of entanglement.

I also carry two Deep Sea knives made by Wenoka, one on my inner left leg opposite my dominant hand and also an integreted knife on my BC. I have had to use the smaller BC knife on numerous occasions with fish line at BW, next to the wall. And so far never have had to un-sheath the larger one.

MG

I made a set of tank holders from 2" dia PVC pipe and nylon rope

They can hold from 1 to 3 tanks each.

I made 2 sets so I can secure 6 tanks when the 3 of us (wife, son, myself) head out.

I cut the 2" dia pvc into equal lengths (about 16").

I use 4 pieces for each set.

I drilled holes through them about 3-4 inches from each end.

I fed the rope through the holes and tied knots (inside the pipe) to keep the pipes equidistant to each other.

I capped the pipes at both ends.

I dipped the ends in that liquid tool handle stuff that turns into a great non-slip surface.

The non-slip ends do a great job of keeping the rack in place in the back of my truck, and the tanks secure in the rack.

I also like the flexability... If I need fewer than the 3 tanks in each, the extra pipe tucks in, out of the way.

They are very compact when not being used.

Total cost for 2 racks holding 6 tanks was about 15 bucks.

Last time I looked, the 2 tank foam set at the LDS was 20.

If anybody is interested, I'll take a couple of pics this weekend when I load up for Sunday's trip.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom