Steel tank ?..again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with ID -

You're not going to get whatever it reads at any shop -
now if ya'll want to argue that further, let me go get the book with the engineering jokes...

Terkel

Originally posted by Warhammer
What is your opinion on diving a steel tank with a wetsuit? By steel, I mean either HP steel or LP steel. Not that I'm a follower of DIR or anything, but they strongly discourage the combination due to the negaitive bouyancy of steel tanks and the compression at depth of wetsuits. The reason I ask is that I'm presently looking at buying my wife a set of gear and the issue of a tank has come up. She's rather small, 5'2" and weighing in at 100lbs. Obviously she has great difficulty in carrying an AL80 and full gear. It isn't so bad if we're at a site that allows easy access and for me to do most of the work for her, but on a dive boat in average seas she has alot of trouble and usually requires assistance of me and the crew to make it to the entry point without falling. So I'm thinking about a HP80 for her, which would decrease the weight on her belt and the total weight of her gear by as much as 10Lbs, depending on the tank. But at the same time it would make her 4 to 6Lbs negative with a full tank and no weights. Then she should be pretty much neutral with the tank empty after taking in consideration the weight of the air. If you factor in a 5mm wetsuit (which is how she will almost always dive this tank), she shouldn't require more than 8 to 10Lbs of lead. I don't know exactly how much the suit would compress at depth, but I'd say she'd be 8 to 10Lbs negative at depth with a full tank. Do you think that's safe? Her BC would have more than enough lift to compensate and if it failed she could ditch the weights and swim up, assuming her buddy, namely me, isn't around.

Yes, I've thought about just getting a smaller tank for her, but the funny thing is that lately she's been using as much or just slightly less air than me, so that would result in shorter bottom times.

For the LP side of this story, I'm considering buying a pair of LP95s for myself and would dive them in a wetsuit alot of the time.

Regarding your wife, been there done that. The PST HP80 is designed with women in mind. It is six shorter, six lbs lighter and has six lbs better bouyancy that a aluminum 80. It will be comfortable for her to dive with and she will be able to carry it.

The steel and wetsuit issue, I think is a none issue. I know some wetsuits compress more than others. Most divers I know have switched from aluminum to steel for the better bouyancy features.

Originally posted by large_diver
I bought an OMS LP 98 late last summer and have about 10 dives on it -- so far, so good.

I am in the market for another tank this summer -- one factor that may make me look at other steel tanks is that I would prefer a galvanized steel tank to protect against nicks and external rust. I believe that OMS cylinders are simply painted. I do a fair amount of shore diving on the rocky coast of New England.

Anyone have any thoughts on the galvanized vs. non-galvanized tank issue?

OMS tanks are metalized and painted. If you scratch the paint off there is a good possibility that they will rust. Meatalizing is very porous. Once this starts, very hard to stop it. PST tanks are hot dipped galvanized are much more durable than a painted tank.

TI

with limited experience i can only say this.....
I am 5ft. 6in. i weigh 150 average. I dive the HP steel with a 7 mil suit and 14 # weight 12 # ditchable. Even at depth with suit compressed I am not too neg. bouyant and have even handed my wiehgt to buddy just to see, and was plenty + bouyant to stay out of trouble if neccesary. I also love the small tank size as it doesnt hit me in the head and bump me in the butt. Oh yeah and i only dive salt water. Hope this helped

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom