Steel Pointer Stick/Tank Banger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However I've also seen foreign DM's which had atrocious behavior - taking photos of their divers while standing on fragile coral for example. I'd say the worst behavior I've seen was of non-Thais.
One can only hope that the dive op gets rid of these guys/girls as soon as possible.

Eco un-friendly divers can be found everywhere and they come in ALL colors and nationalities. I am often still surprised and amused that so many western divers still believe any diver with black hair and a tanned skin is " a bad Japanese diver".

The "ultimate marine-life harasser" I know looks more like this: often over-sized and over weighted, carrying a top of the line camera (often unable to take any half-decent pictures though), completely oblivious of anything around him/her when going straight to the "target", grabbing and handling marinelife he/she wants to shoot, leaving the "target" in a swirl of sediment and broken coral when moving away to the next creature on their list, often unable to handle currents and always moan about the vis.

The "ultimate marine-life harasser" I know looks more like this: often over-sized and over weighted, carrying a top of the line camera (often unable to take any half-decent pictures though), completely oblivious of anything around him/her when going straight to the "target", grabbing and handling marinelife he/she wants to shoot, leaving the "target" in a swirl of sediment and broken coral when moving away to the next creature on their list, often unable to handle currents and always moan about the vis.

BWAHAHAHA!!!! Wait...you forgot people who relocate marine life to more photogenic locations/positions...I have seen this all over the world, but sadly, most frequently right here at home.

Oh, and those who feel that because they have a camera, they have the right to monopolize any subject they want for as long as they wish!! I have a camera, but I don't feel that it is worth it to get any shot I can by clocking out everyone else's opportunity to get a shot, too.

I just got back from Socorro - I have a whole list...sadly, exhibited by only one person (who hogged mantas for days until my husband and I finally staggered our diving so we'd be getting in while he was getting out - he wouldn't show anyone on the boat any pictures, so I have no idea if his obnoxiousness was even fruitful :wink: )

PapaBear, I sent you a PM - I am really interested in getting ahold of a nice muck stick so I can start practicing for upcoming trips. Yours looks the nicest of any I've seen, and I have neither time nor inclination to make one on my own. Thanks!

BWAHAHAHA!!!! Wait...you forgot people who relocate marine life to more photogenic locations/positions...I have seen this all over the world, but sadly, most frequently right here at home.

Yep; I've witnessed some BIG names in the UW photographer world grabbing and relocating (pygmy) and other seahorses, nudibranchs, octopi, harlequin shrimps, molluscs etc.
These socalled "photo-pro's" seem always to have the same excuse when you try to make them understand that it's just not the right thing to do. "Oh well, it's all for the greater good" they'll say because their pics will get published and this way they will create more awareness about the ocean environment by a lot of people.

Who needs pics of flying mimic octopi? Who needs pics of nudibranchs on top of seastars on top of soft coral?

There are fortunately also some good photo-pro's out there taking their time with marinelife and shooting more careful and more natural pictures. They proof that it IS possible to get nice pictures without having to harrass and handle marinelife.

:D

Not sure if you are still looking for one of these sticks, a local dive shop here in Sacramento has a dozen hanging on the wall ready for purchase. They are simple and inexpensive and very effective. I can forward the info to you if you need it, just let me know. The wife and I are each getting one after we returned from our trip to Fiji. They were used as tank bangers to get the groups attention. Nothing worked better for getting our attention. Not one time did we see them use it touching the reef, just tapping the tank.

Trevor

Not sure if you are still looking for one of these sticks, a local dive shop here in Sacramento has a dozen hanging on the wall ready for purchase. They are simple and inexpensive and very effective. I can forward the info to you if you need it, just let me know. The wife and I are each getting one after we returned from our trip to Fiji. They were used as tank bangers to get the groups attention. Nothing worked better for getting our attention. Not one time did we see them use it touching the reef, just tapping the tank.

Trevor

A friend from Thailand actually sent me a couple of the very ones I had been admiring, so I'm all set, but I wouldn't mind a PM of the shop's contact info just the same. Thanks. :)

Glad you got your new pointy toy ....just use it wisely....:D

For those here that do however believe abuse of marine life on any level is acceptable with such a stick..

Leave nothing but bubbles .
Take nothing but pictures.
TOUCH NOTHING but your wallet when tipping good environmentally sound behavior from your guide !!

For the guy who reinvented the car Ariel sorry but thats an appalling attitude with regards to pulling garden eels etc.:no

Now where can i buy a pointy stick with a sharp end to poke at those that are poking the marine life....:D

Glad you got your new pointy toy ....just use it wisely....:D

I've used it a few times while DMing, and I love it. Good noise maker for getting student's attention, and great for pointing out small nudi's and such without your fingers getting in the way of the view.

I don't like carrying the extra stuff when I'm diving for me, and not students, so I leave it behind. Hands are full enough with the camera gear.

I was diving the other day and this idiot picked up some live rock and started to carry it around with him. This really bothered me so I was keeping an eye on him. Then...he starts smashing sea urchins. I pointed this out to the dive leader and he did nothing. Once topside I asked the leader to say something to him, he said he would but I don't think he did anything. I love Thailand but there is a place to confront people and tell them they are doing something wrong.

I have ones for sale that I used to make myself, but now get made locally,
Its the Pointer, shaker combined one (or one type anyway)
Let me know if it's interesting. I'll try and post a pic in a few Min.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom