Steel Pointer Stick/Tank Banger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw a few of the DMs during my recent trip to Thailand who were carrying solid stainless steel rods, for use as pointing sticks, tank bangers, and bracing (support) for pushing against the wall to help hold position without having to touch the wall. They were also marked to use as a measuring device. One even had an integrated shaker/noisemaker. I kept meaning to ask where one could buy one, but kept forgetting. Searching has thus far proved fruitless, probably because I'm not sure what the "official" name for these little beasties is.

Anyone know of these, and can anyone point me to an internet shop where I can order one? I can see them being really handy for guiding dives on local trips, as well.

I happened to catch one in one of my photos:

pointerstick.jpg

I have seen a few designs, usually longer and some with a small piece welded to the end to act as a reef hook. But they are always locally made. If you can't find ready made ones for sale, why not just get a stainless steel rod of the size you want from a online or local source, and drill a hole to attach a wrist strap? I bet your local machine shop could hook you up.

We could usually get one from just the local market here with slight modifications. However, not sure about it in the US.
I know people who even make them themselves.
I call these dive pointers; not sure if there is an official name.

I got mine in Malaysia in 04....would not dive without it...I have found them sold at places like Lembeh Straits...I'm sure I've seen them in the last year on LP and Scuba toys....In fact I believe Innovative products (out of Colorado) makes and sells them.

I got mine in Malaysia in 04....would not dive without it...I have found them sold at places like Lembeh Straits...I'm sure I've seen them in the last year on LP and Scuba toys....In fact I believe Innovative products (out of Colorado) makes and sells them.

And what are they called? It's the lack of an official name to plug into a search engine that's kinda holding me up. :)

From what I can gather, they are called lobster tickle sticks. I'm not a lobster hunter though, just FYI.

A quick Google search shows they come in metal and plastic versions, with or without the hook bend at the end.

Here's an older SB thread where they talk about the different types and how to make one. The links to pics must be old because they no longer work. Show me a tickle stick???? [Archive] - ScubaBoard

I wonder if you could just rip off the antenna from an old or cheap radio and use that. I guess it would depend on the type of metal and what you were using it for.

Hope this helps.

From what I can gather, they are called lobster tickle sticks. I'm not a lobster hunter though, just FYI..

Now that's a name I've never heard before! (and a terrible name for something that is NOT intended to harrass animals with or "hunt" with)

Here in Thailand we just call them "pointer" and they are for sale in some local dive equipment retail stores. Some of us make them ourselves though and just buy some stainless steel rod, get a hole drilled in it and attach a piece of string and hook.

If you come to Phuket I can get you one (or more) easily.

:D

Now that's a name I've never heard before! (and a terrible name for something that is NOT intended to harrass animals with or "hunt" with)

Here in Thailand we just call them "pointer" and they are for sale in some local dive equipment retail stores. Some of us make them ourselves though and just buy some stainless steel rod, get a hole drilled in it and attach a piece of string and hook.

If you come to Phuket I can get you one (or more) easily.

:D

A lobster tickle stick (used for hunting, btw) is NOT what I'm looking for. And yes, they are intended for use with hunting... you poke the stick into the lobster's hole and "tickle" the back of their tail to drive them forward into your eager hands.

They tend to be around 36" long, for one thing. The one I'm referring to is generally 12"-18", from what I've seen.

Tickle sticks are readily available. They're also very illegal here in California, although quite popular in Florida.

36" Aluminum Lobster Tickle Stick from LeisurePro.com

ticklestick.jpg

My DM was going to go with me to Diver's Supply (was that the name of the big supply shop?) to get one, but other stuff came up and I wasn't able to go. I figured I could find them online somewhere, but no such luck so far!

I could have a simple one made fairly easily, I'm sure, but I really liked the one I saw that had a built in shaker/rattler, and I was hoping to find one of those. It's looking like I may end up having to ship one from Thailand after all!

Found it! They're commonly referred to as "Muck Sticks" (and sometimes, "reef sticks"). There are even a few threads here on SB about them (esp. in the Indonesia/Lembeh forums). Finally I have something to search for...

Back
Top Bottom