steel 72's vs AL80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
for those of you who dive with the steel 72, if you did the same dive with AL80 how much longer would you be able to dive?

Not a lot. There's actually about a 5 cubic foot difference in capacity. I'll take every minute of bottom time I can get, but the real diff between these tanks is small.

7 minutes 26 seconds on average :wink:

But I'd need more weight with the AL 80.

i'd take the advantage of te steel tanks over the extra air any day...shorter more comfortable dive!!

If you're diving withsome who is an air hog and they have an AL 80 and you follow "propper buddy rules" then you'll come up when they do. So if they use
more air than you, then using an AL 80 doesn't really benifit you at all.

I used to dive with someone who used air up much more than I did.
He'd dive an AL 80 and I'd dive a steel 72 and I'd still come up with more
air than he did for example.

IMHO the boyancy benifits of the steel 72's outweigh (no pun intended) the slight difference in BT you might get with the AL 80's. I love my 72's, I can dive in a full 7mm with hood, boots, gloves, etc with 10lbs of lead!

My steel 72's have lost their + so they are 65's. My Al 80's rarely have a cold fill so figure them to be 72's...beach dives max depth 35 ft, 10 minutes

Jerry

With double 72's (at 2475 psi) I can plan on 20 minutes at 150 ft with a 1/3 reserve. With double 80's I can plan on 25 minutes with a 1/3 reserve, si the difference is really pretty small.

For DA Aquamaster's example dive, I have 39 minutes on double 72s with 1/3 reserve; on 80s, I have 43 minutes with reserve. So, that's only 4 minutes difference.

I'd get the 72s; however I would also conisder the availability of a hydro shop that can keep the + rating after the first hydro. Like jerryn said, they become 65s without the + (assuming you 'obey' that rating), so that would limit me to 35 minutes; still not much of a difference, but that makes it 8 minutes from an 80.

I'd still get the 72s....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom