Steel 40's for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving multiple skinny tanks for decades. They are so much more comfortable than large singles. The trim is great. When I am not using a rebreather, my most used rig is triple 40's with two of them manifolded and the third independent. I also have double 40's, double 35's, triple 35's and quad 20's. About the only time I dive a single anymore is when I grab a 13cf pony to untangle a rope.

OK fill me in on why you would want to do this. Carry two tanks that have the same amount of gas as one...not me. Also maintain double regs. You might save having to carry a couple of pounds but big deal. Ya they are cute.

One of the advantages of doubles is that you can actually waste less gas. See this link for a great discussion on the advantages/disadvantages of doubles. See Divin'Hoosiers post for the economy aspect.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/228847-doubles-recreational-diving.html

c

At the local dive park today, I saw a totally awesome set of doubles.

Someone had banded together a set of steel 40's, and with an isolator manifold.

I thought to myself, "Perfect!". That way, I'd still have enough weight to use my drysuit without having to use a weight belt, they'd be way less heavy and bulky than my LP85's, they'd be perfect for NDL rec dives, and yet I'd still have a measure of redundancy.

Does anyone have any idea how I'd go about finding and assembling my own itty-bitty doubles set?

Thanks!

So did you pull the trigger? I've been wanting to do this for awhile; all the benefits of doubles in a small package. So far I have one Faber lp 45, so I need a few more parts.:D DR does indeed carry the required bands and manifold for a double lp 45s. Pretty sweet! Post pics if you rig one up.

They will be fine for fooling around in the 40 to 70' range and I'd love to get a set, but my 30 year old twin 72's fill that slot already.

Now if I could find an old USD tripples manifold, tripple aluminum 40's - that would be fun.

As to why?

Why not?

Pete

Hi Pete,

If you mean the one piece triple manifold, it was for 30s and not 40s. Only the LUXFER 30 would fit, the Catalina and Hy-Mark 30 were too fat.

At the local dive park today, I saw a totally awesome set of doubles.

Someone had banded together a set of steel 40's, and with an isolator manifold.

I thought to myself, "Perfect!". That way, I'd still have enough weight to use my drysuit without having to use a weight belt, they'd be way less heavy and bulky than my LP85's, they'd be perfect for NDL rec dives, and yet I'd still have a measure of redundancy.

Does anyone have any idea how I'd go about finding and assembling my own itty-bitty doubles set?

Thanks!

That sounds like the Worthington Steel 3442psi 40s. Rare but nice tanks. LP-45s or aluminum 40s are easier to find.

I think I have a spare short crossover for close tank spacing that can be used with modular valves if you are interested.

Thermo makes a crossover bar, "#8004 CTR BAR", for 185mm center to center (~7.28" +/-.25") spacing. I think that is the closest center to center spacing manifold in current production.

Back
Top Bottom